• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A first attempt at a Gourd Canteen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In my never ending quest for the next project, to prevent me from working on existing projects, I decided I needed a Gourd Canteen. Because you know, just because. Anyway, I found and ordered a few possible victims off the interweb and got busy. I selected one from the bunch that was not the best (in case I screwed it up) but not the worst (in case it turned out OK and usable). I cut off the stem and measured my selected cork stopper. I had found several suitable and unsuitable corks at a couple local thrift stores. Man, people will collect and donate most anything (and then I come along and buy most anything). I found a close but slightly undersize drill and got busy, first with a group of smaller and then progressively larger bits. Dumping out the contents yielded a ton (well, almost) of seeds. If viable they may lead to next year’s project. Anyway, along with the seeds I poked out all the Gourd guts I could before throwing a handful of hardware (large & small nuts, bolts, pointy screws) inside.

Then the real fun began, shake the Gourd, shake I say. Shake to the left, shake to the right, shake your Goard all ‘round. Shake while walking around the yard, shake while watching TV, shake, shake, shake. Much shaking later, (did I mention shaking?) dump the hardware and powdered Gourd guts out. Repeat until no more powder comes out and the inside looks pretty clean. You do know what the inside of clean Gourd looks like right? Yeah, me neither. Once satisfied with the internal condition, set Gourd in the Sun while you heat some Bees Wax. Hopefully you have an “in” with a friendly local Bee Keeper who likes you enough to save you some nice, clean, minimally processed wax. Luckily a buddy’s wife keeps Bees and he mentioned to her I would like to have wax (and Honey), so I have wax (and Honey).

As it turned out, I needn’t have worried about pre-heating the Gourd because IT GOT REAL DANG HOT when I dumped the melted wax inside. Like almost too hot to handle with bare hands hot. Put in the stopper and shake the Gourd, actually just slowly spin it around throughly coating the interior, cork and all. My Goard soaked up all of my first batch of wax so I hit it again, and got most of the second batch back out so I guess it got pretty much coated the first time. The cork and neck got nicely coated as well. Being satisfied with the results I made a leather strap and tied on a thong to hang it from my belt. I still need to make a toggle to tie on the thong that I can just tuck under, or over my belt. Anyway, here it is:
0BA1C957-7D76-4CA3-8997-2BC6CFAC9473.jpeg

I grow gourds, but never knew/cared how to make a canteen with them, so sincerely thank you for posting this. Gourds take a long time to dry out (many months) completely. So....honestly, how does water taste from your newly-fashioned canteen?

Mostly, my gourds end up as wren houses, thanksgiving decorations, or rat food if left in the shed too long.

Neat project, I have made a few with the bottle gourds like yours there also is a canteen gourd that works nicely they are round and kind of flat. As to the water taste if they are coated completely on the inside with bees wax the water is ok, to me it kind of tastes like well bees wax with a hint of honey flavor. You want to be careful with its use and don't knock it around too much, they hold up well with some care, also as you use it be sure to un-cork it and allow it to completely dry before putting it away for the next time, you don't see to many being used and for me that adds to the neat factor, Any time someone makes an item such as this it's a good thing 👍 Good job.

In my never ending quest for the next project, to prevent me from working on existing projects, I decided I needed a Gourd Canteen. Because you know, just because. Anyway, I found and ordered a few possible victims off the interweb and got busy. I selected one from the bunch that was not the best (in case I screwed it up) but not the worst (in case it turned out OK and usable). I cut off the stem and measured my selected cork stopper. I had found several suitable and unsuitable corks at a couple local thrift stores. Man, people will collect and donate most anything (and then I come along and buy most anything). I found a close but slightly undersize drill and got busy, first with a group of smaller and then progressively larger bits. Dumping out the contents yielded a ton (well, almost) of seeds. If viable they may lead to next year’s project. Anyway, along with the seeds I poked out all the Gourd guts I could before throwing a handful of hardware (large & small nuts, bolts, pointy screws) inside.

Then the real fun began, shake the Gourd, shake I say. Shake to the left, shake to the right, shake your Goard all ‘round. Shake while walking around the yard, shake while watching TV, shake, shake, shake. Much shaking later, (did I mention shaking?) dump the hardware and powdered Gourd guts out. Repeat until no more powder comes out and the inside looks pretty clean. You do know what the inside of clean Gourd looks like right? Yeah, me neither. Once satisfied with the internal condition, set Gourd in the Sun while you heat some Bees Wax. Hopefully you have an “in” with a friendly local Bee Keeper who likes you enough to save you some nice, clean, minimally processed wax. Luckily a buddy’s wife keeps Bees and he mentioned to her I would like to have wax (and Honey), so I have wax (and Honey).

As it turned out, I needn’t have worried about pre-heating the Gourd because IT GOT REAL DANG HOT when I dumped the melted wax inside. Like almost too hot to handle with bare hands hot. Put in the stopper and shake the Gourd, actually just slowly spin it around throughly coating the interior, cork and all. My Goard soaked up all of my first batch of wax so I hit it again, and got most of the second batch back out so I guess it got pretty much coated the first time. The cork and neck got nicely coated as well. Being satisfied with the results I made a leather strap and tied on a thong to hang it from my belt. I still need to make a toggle to tie on the thong that I can just tuck under, or over my belt. Anyway, here it is:
View attachment 241787
On my "to do"list too. W/ that honey source, you could maybe start a mead.

I don’t know how the water tastes as I have not filled it yet but the inside sure smells good. If that is any indication the water should be alright. Later this Fall I plan on preparing an area in the yard for a Gourd trellis for next Spring. I figure to hang the harvested Gourds in the rafters of my attic, it gets very hot up there and is as dry a spot as I have. In fact, it may be too hot, on second thought I may do some up there and some on the back porch, etc. We’ll have to see how the yield and harvest goes. I would like to have enough to make these for the Prize Blanket at our shoots. It would be neat to make some other stuff from them if I can grow the right Gourds.

Also on my future projects list. Bought several packs of seeds this year but didn't get them planted, so I guess it is a next year project. Thanks for posting your project. Very informative and it looks like you did a good job.

Tip on the bottle necks plant them where they can grow on a trellis. Also, with the canteen gourds once they start to grow place the gourd between two pieces of flat wood and secure the wood with a type of rubber band, not to tight but tight enough to support them, think like a splint, this will grow a flatter gourd.

Tip on the bottle necks plant them where they can grow on a trellis. Also, with the canteen gourds once they start to grow place the gourd between two pieces of flat wood and secure the wood with a type of rubber band, not to tight but tight enough to support them, think like a splint, this will grow a flatter gourd.
Good info. Can't wait to try it myself.

Howdy Timber Wolf:
Not looking to hijack your thread, BUT. We have a Gourd Arts-n-Crafts fair every Summer in the Lancaster, Pa. area. It's at Smukers Gourd Farm on Springville road in Kinzers, Pa.
Anyway, about 5 years ago my wife and I went just because we were in the Lancaster area at the time on vacation. While we were there I found a unique "tool" for gutting dried gourds? It was a 6" long- 1/2" diameter rod with 4 or 5 small (6" long) tow chain pieces attached to the end.
You open the end of the gourd, then put the "tool" in your drill, stick the rod inside the gourd and pull the trigger. Work it in and out, the chains spin around and knock out all the dried "Guts". Pretty cool...huh?
Just thought I'd pass that along for future Gourd workers. I'm sure it would save a lot of time and aggravation cleaning out gourds?
Thanks for letting me in guys.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Howdy Timber Wolf:
Not looking to hijack your thread, BUT. We have a Gourd Arts-n-Crafts fair every Summer in the Lancaster, Pa. area. It's at Smukers Gourd Farm on Springville road in Kinzers, Pa.
Anyway, about 5 years ago my wife and I went just because we were in the Lancaster area at the time on vacation. While we were there I found a unique "tool" for gutting dried gourds? It was a 6" long- 1/2" diameter rod with 4 or 5 small (6" long) tow chain pieces attached to the end.
You open the end of the gourd, then put the "tool" in your drill, stick the rod inside the gourd and pull the trigger. Work it in and out, the chains spin around and knock out all the dried "Guts". Pretty cool...huh?
Just thought I'd pass that along for future Gourd workers. I'm sure it would save a lot of time and aggravation cleaning out gourds?
God bless:
Two Feathers
That fair sounds like a hoot. Might have to put that on the list for retirement road trips in a few years.

Howdy Timber Wolf:
God bless:
Two Feathers

That would certainly cut down on the shaking required to clean out a gourd. Sounds like I need to make another tool.

Latest posts

Back