• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gourd canteen wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesthomas

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Been wanting to get a gourd canteen but Crazy Crow is back ordered till June! Does anyone know where I can purchase one?

In the Backwoodsman, I saw an ad that eagle feather trading post has one. You can find them at www.eaglefeathertrading.com. And sorry, but you should really post this in the classifieds, they have a place for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Old Bent's Fort, they usually have some in stock. Google them, I don't have their telephone number.

just remember gourd canteens are fragile n easily broken, at least most I've seen anyway. Around camp they are great but for woods runnen I prefer something tin or copper to take any bumps along the way that may happen,--just a thought YMHS Birdman

They're actually not all that difficult to make and seeds are readily available from several different sources. Of the two I have, I bought one at a rondyvoos and the other one was made for me by my best friend.

If it's instant gratification you seek then chek out Jas. Townsend & Sons. (Don't have the link - just google them.)

And yes, as B-man mentions, they're kinda' fragile, BUT I've have both of mine for many years and they've stood up to some pretty rough back country travel. Just don't set them down anywhere they'll get stepped on or kicked around. (Better not to do that with ANY of your gear.)

Luck to you!

I have made them. The key is to only beeswax or pitch the inside, and to carry them with a strap attached to a mesh that allows the exterior to breathe. They will last at least a year, as long as you don't crack them. If you pitch the outside as well as the inside..., they become as brittle as eggshells. The other drawback is they are a natural product, so no telling about natural defects in the wall thickness of the gourd. I have several gourds right now that will soon be containers of one sort or another. They also work for carrying dry foodstuffs in packs.

LD

Maybe try posting a want ad in the classifieds, someone may have one for sale. :idunno:

If you want to pay the shipping I have a gourd or two that have been drying for over five years you can have.To try and make your own. Drop me a pm if interested.

Too late, I have already ordered a regular pine canteen from Jas. Townsend&Sons, But I'll keep your offer in mind. Thanks.

If still interested in a gourd canteen, go to www.jedediah-star.com. Then , click Rendezvous Supplies. They're under kegs, jugs, canteens. Quite affordably priced too. Watch yer top knot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back