• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got a lathe to play with... built a Cannon!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhDBrewer

Buckskin Baxter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
About 3 years ago I finally got a lathe. First project?
CANNON!
Resized_Resized_20200516_123216(1).jpeg

Ran test loads with it mounted to a sled. .50 caliber barrel full of noise! So much fun I never built a carriage for it. I started a nice field carriage and am making the parts slowly. It was not going to be done in time.
Drew up some plans and got this far today in 4 hours. The cannon "kicks" so much I am making steel wheels for it to add weight. I will probably mount the wheels to a heavier chunk of iron. I do not want any accidents!

20230704_173612.jpg

Based on the scale from images the barrel is the correct size for this carriage. However, I like the field carriage better than a ship carriage.
Well. Did not get this done in time either...
Happy Independence Day!
William

Attachments

• 20230704_173612.jpg
    20230704_173612.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I like the shape of the muzzle that you have chosen. But it looks like maybe a bigger carriage would be needed, although camera angle and lens could make it look so. And yes some brass or lead imbedded would help keep it better under control with some good trunnion straps. How much powder are we loading in that 50 caliber and what are you using for projectile. I would spend the time and make a good carriage, as the barrel looks real nice.

The cannon itself is quite attractive but the nuts on the axles of the naval carriage kind of take away from that "attractiveness". Not criticizing just observing, I'm assuming that you posted this thread to get some input. Actually, I'm quite envious.

My municipality has a metal recycling center where any resident can take old scrap metal and throw it in the dumpster and the town gets whatever money is received. I get there perhaps once every two months. I have come across three floor jacks. They all have metal wheels of two different sizes. one set normally about 2 inches in diameter and the other set about 4.5 inches. Those are what I use on naval carriage models. All 4 small wheels or the 2 big ones in front and the 2 small in back.

My municipality has a metal recycling center where any resident can take old scrap metal and throw it in the dumpster and the town gets whatever money is received.
Yes, those heavy jack wheels would hold this down. Wish we had a place like that here. Wish I could buy scrap metal, brass or lead at scrap prices. Both local places want top $ for scrap. All the scrap metal is sold as possible sculpture, artwork, or antiques piece and it is illegal to take from recycle bins.
Scaled to the carriage, wheels are 1.35" inches rear and 1.5" at the front. The washers and nuts in the above image are just placeholders.
Let's see how many months it takes me to get the trunions and wheels done...
😃
William

Attachments

• 20230707_164912.jpg
    20230707_164912.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, those heavy jack wheels would hold this down. Wish we had a place like that here. Wish I could buy scrap metal, brass or lead at scrap prices. Both local places want top $ for scrap. All the scrap metal is sold as possible sculpture, artwork, or antiques piece and it is illegal to take from recycle bins.
Scaled to the carriage, wheels are 1.35" inches rear and 1.5" at the front. The washers and nuts in the above image are just placeholders.
😃
William
I did not mean to sound critical, I was merely giving a little input.

😃
William

Where are you located. I have some old farm machinery in the upper field (baler, hay bine) that Mrs. wants me to call the scrapper to haul away. You are welcome to come take whatever you want off, axles, bearings, shafts, etc. My buddy stripped an old New Holland Baler and used the hay feeder guides for sleigh runners and built a small pony sized sleigh for his kids to harness their pony to. Right out of a Christmas card. You would never figure that half the parts came from farm junk

😃
William
You live in the southwest, right? The problem with living somewhere with a thriving art scene lol. I feel bad for anyone trying to find scrap metal in Sante Fe.

If you look to build to scale typically the wall thickness at the breech is equal to the bore. For example a 3 inch bore cannon would have a breech of 9 inches! Your .50 would have a breech of 1.5" The smaller the bore the less there is conformity to this which is why I stated "scale." However, as I am sure your breech is much smaller than 1.5 you can understand how the weight would not be to scale resulting in excessive movement. Wall thickness comes into play much more when you are dealing with larger pieces.
313956_267959049898079_4460844_n.jpg

Don't feel bad over how long it's taking to make a proper carriage. I started one, getting the barrel cast, when I was about 14. Got a naval carriage about 3/4 done then, but ran into trouble making trunnions & covers ( no welding skills). I still vow to finish it but better start soon. I'm 76.

If you look to build to scale typically the wall thickness at the breech is equal to the bore. For example a 3 inch bore cannon would have a breech of 9 inches! Your .50 would have a breech of 1.5" The smaller the bore the less there is conformity to this which is why I stated "scale." However, as I am sure your breech is much smaller than 1.5 you can understand how the weight would not be to scale resulting in excessive movement. Wall thickness comes into play much more when you are dealing with larger pieces.
View attachment 237005
Mongo want....

Latest posts

Back