• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good shot load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone has any examples of a good shot load (been shooting mine from 25 yards) (I also have 20 gauge flintlock Fowler). I just found a good round ball load and I’m trying to find a good shot load for 7 1/2 shot for birds and 6 shot for squirrels. I want to know how to know what is good load and not and how measure it? (at least from a black powder shotgun standpoint)

Any info on this would be awesome!

778EA92A-446D-4289-9972-5730317913F4.jpeg
EDB36991-82A5-4A12-9DBA-5B235D9151AB.jpeg

here is an example from today. 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot sky chief load with 70 grain 2f (top picture) and 65 grain 2f (bottom picture)

How to know varies a bit. The old paper plate idea (shooting a paper plate at a given distance to see your shot concentration) then can (shooting a soup can to see penetration) is a good place to start.
I use large newspaper with an 8.5x11 sheet taped to it. I draw a 3" circle on the sheet and shoot for it. I get an idea of my shot concentration that way at varied distances.
Once I get the pattern I'm happy with, I shoot a can at that distance to see how many pellets hit and enter the can.

Back