• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English .28 Gauge Single Shotgun need Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

German Jäger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I buy today a nice 1840‘s Snoothbore in 28 Gauge! Very good shape Damast Barrel 86cm all in Function nice little Smoothy!
Please help with Load Advice for Roundball and Shot! I want to use at Deer at Wood Range 40-60 Meters an with Shot fore Pigeon and Phesant .
Hope to hear from you all!

Here some Pics
Can anyone tell about the Maker an Quality?!

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpeg
    IMG_2426.jpeg
    549.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2427.jpeg
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2428.jpeg
    IMG_2428.jpeg
    776.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2429.jpeg
    IMG_2429.jpeg
    856.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2430.jpeg
    IMG_2430.jpeg
    818.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2431.jpeg
    IMG_2431.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 0
Kings Arms sold guns from outsources:

The kings Arms was there from 1828 and had its licence withdrawn in 1917
1828-1829 Swift, Tom, Kings Arms, 40 Whittall St
1839-1845 Hickman, John , King’s Arm’s , 40 Whittall St
1849 Hillman, Mrs Harriet , King’s Arms , 40 Whittall St
1851-1868 Griffiths, Charles, King’s Arms , 40 Whittall St (also gun maker)
1872-1883 Griffiths, Mrs Louisa, King’s Arms , 40 Whittall St
1884 Hyde, William, King’s Arms , 40 Whittall St
1888-1892 Fielding, John, King’s Arms , 40 Whittall St
1895-1899 Holyoak. Mrs Jane , King’s Arms , 40 Whittall St
1900 Robertson, Matthew, King’s Arms , 40 Whittall St
1903-1905 Robinson, Matthew Isaiah , King’s Arms , 40 Whittall St
1908 Robinson, Mrs Tamar Price , King’s Arms , 40 Whittall St
1912-1917 Holyoak. Mrs Sarah Jane , King’s Arms , 40 Whittall St

Oh nice information!
Please tell.me sbout ball size and do i eith or without patch use?! Deer size Game Power and accurary? Thanks

You will probably want a 54 or smaller caliber ball. It will be trial and error. In my 20 gauge I use a ,575 ball in a paper cartridge. I use 70 grains of 3f and get 4 to 5 inch groups at 50 yards. I use the paper cartridges because it gives me a faster second shot if I need it. I carry them in a cartridge box. Just remember each gun is an individual, you wil have to find out what your gun likes.

Oh nice information!
Please tell.me sbout ball size and do i eith or without patch use?! Deer size Game Power and accurary? Thanks
You have good suggestions from both @Britsmoothy and @bud in pa
I'd use 2 to 3 Drams of powder and a ball of 13.5mm to 13.75mm for starting parameters.
YOU get the fun of finding out what your barrel likes best!
Try different patching materials; then try bare ball with over powder wadding material, then ball with lube, topped over by a card or light wad to retain the ball from moving.
When your load consistently shows a palm-size group at 50 M or so, you are ready to hunt!

Just to elaborate and confuse, that Scottish dram might be poured as a "wee deoch an doris" -- a "drink for the door" or "one for the road" as they say here in the Colonies to warm your guest on his or her journey home. Sorry. Couldn't help meself! 😄
That's an absolutely spectactular shotgun you have there, German Jäger. Congratulations, and I hope you can make it perform to your complete satisfaction. :cool:

Just to make sure there isn’t a mistake….
1dram = 27.34 grains of black powder. two drams = 54.68 grains.
Three drams = 82.02 grains.

Beautiful shotgun by the way! It looks very clean and has a beautiful Damascus pattern.

Hello Friends,

I buy today a nice 1840‘s Snoothbore in 28 Gauge! Very good shape Damast Barrel 86cm all in Function nice little Smoothy!
Please help with Load Advice for Roundball and Shot! I want to use at Deer at Wood Range 40-60 Meters an with Shot fore Pigeon and Phesant .
Hope to hear from you all!
I have no recommendations for a load, but I must say you found a gorgeous shotgun. Congrats from Kentucky.

Latest posts

Back