• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good place to buy horns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am gathering accessories for my first flintlock rifle, and not knowing any better I bought a cheap powder horn off of ebay. Well, now I know not to do that again. What a piece of junk. So my next question is, where is a good place to buy supplies to make my own horn? I have a lathe and can turn the stoppers, but I'm wondering where to buy the unfinished horn. I've seen them at Crazy Crow but not sure if there are places that sell better quality horns.

You can try Powder Horns & More

I have never ordered from them, but I know they have been around for a long time. They show pictures of individual horns they have for sale, so you pick the exact one you want, which is great. Their prices are very fair. Most dealers who sell horns just sell "pot luck."

I disagree with the Powder Horns & More guy regarding the choice of left or right side carry, though. For me, a horn from the right side of the animal's head carries best on my (preferred) right side. The curve of the horn fits my side, and the tip points up. He recommends using a horn from the left side of the animal's head to carry on your right side. This means you have to rotate the horn toward your body so the curve fits, and the tip ends up nearly horizontal. That's the way a lot of people seem to like them now, though, and I think individual preference has always played a part. An artisan and horner named Mark Elliott adressed this very eloquently. You can go to his website (right here) and scroll down to where it says "Left or Right Hand Carry?" In any event, you can look at the actual horns on the Powder Horns & More website and make your own choice. I don't know of anybody else who offers that.

October Country sells raw polished horns. I don't think you can pick the actual horn, but they do offer a choice of right or left hip carry. You specify when you order. I bought one of their finished "Frontier Horns" a few years ago, and it appears their assessment of right or left side carry is congruent with mine, or at least it was at that time. I would like to add that the horn I bought from October Country is very well made, and authentically styled. I think October Country's Frontier and Yellowstone model powder horns are a "best buy" on today's market, if you want to get one readymade. Both are very authentic, and fairly priced for what you get.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back