• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good books for greenhorn builders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Ripley

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I need honest reviews. I am interested in putting a fowler together. I want to get the ducks in a row before I order the parts.

thanks

You can read all you want (and should), but nothing is a substitute for hands-on experience. My first build was a tradegun purchased as a kit from North Star West, and I learned more by doing than ever before. Lots of folks start with a lower-end kit (ex. Lyman GPR) but some of us just jump in. Not knowing your level of expertise with general wood- and metal-working, it is difficult to suggest......There are many books and videos available, and others may be able suggest some to find.

Try "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" by by Ehrig, Miller and Dixon. Since your looking at fowlers Tom Grinsdale's book "Flintlock Fowlers...The First Guns Made in America" has some excellent pictures and good examples of fowling pieces. I would also check around your area and see if there is someone who has built some guns before and see if they will let you apprentice. Having someone who has "been there" assisting your first build is a big help.
Good luck and have fun.

In addition to what has already been mentioned . I reccomend "Recreating The American Longrifle" by Buchele , Shumway and Alexander . The more books you read , the better you will understand gun building . There is always more than one way to do something . The more ways you know , the better . :winking:

patch knife said:
I reccomend "Recreating The American Longrifle" by Buchele , Shumway and Alexander . The more books you read , the better you will understand gun building . There is always more than one way to do something . The more ways you know , the better . :winking:

"Recreating the American Longrifle", and "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" are probably the two best books on building longrifles.

"Rifles of Colonial America" both volumes, are filled with longrifles, with dimensions and good photos.

There are some good videos on several aspects of building available for rent from Smartflix;[url] http://smartflix.com/index.php?main_page=index[/url]
J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back