• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

German Apprentice Project Thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My teenager from German has taken an interest in shooting, and in particular he fell in love with woodcock hunting. We spent the whole season on doves, partridges, quail, pheasant, ducks and woodcock with black powder shotguns. He expressed interest in putting a gun together. We talked about this and reviewed many examples. BigSkyRambler made it happen by sending a pistol kit. I'm going to go over the basics and kind of supervise, but I am giving artistic license to the boy. Today we went over basic draw filing of metal, polishing and wood sanding and sculpting. The project as begun. Upon completion we will be sending it back to BigSkyRambler. At the moment we don't know the legalities of taking this to Germany.

Attachments

• Build 1 metal.jpg
    Build 1 metal.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • Build 1 wood.jpg
    Build 1 wood.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Today we messed around with a slaucum formula. Blood, bitterroot and charcoaled oil. We’re getting towards the color he has in mind. Also worked on some aging of wood for a vintage appearance.

Attachments

• IMG_9430.jpeg
    IMG_9430.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9429.jpeg
    IMG_9429.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9428.jpeg
    IMG_9428.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Though I've stained maple with my blood , wasn't too impressed with the shade. I keep some bandaids and iodine in my tool chest , in case the wounds are too deep. Just will try to get it right. Worst attempt at blood staining , was when I ground half the top of my pointer finger joint smooth with a 26,000 rpm die grinder , and a rasp bit. Never let go of a die grinder , always have two hands on it. Top of the finger joint vanished. That adventure was good for a week of bandaids and disinfectant. It's all good.

Latest posts

Back