• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting into Casting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after finding prices on-line for my rifles are OUTRAGEOUS I decided to start casting and making my own bullets/lube. Start up cost was a dent in the pocket, but I believe it will pay for itself in the long run. (esp. when you purchase everything all at once). Here are a few pics on my progress. Haven't had the chance to fire any yet, mother nature hasn't cooperated with me this winter.
2023-12-07 12.27.11.jpg
2023-12-29 15.04.18.jpg2024-01-06 10.03.14.jpg2024-01-06 10.03.30.jpg2024-01-07 11.36.20.jpg

Because I’m curious, are you casting inside your house? Now I cast in The garage where my shop is… so I’m not debating casting inside…

But if you are, are you single? Yet?
I'm casting the bullets outside in my back shed. I make up and pan lube the bullets inside, safe from the weather. 50 and 54 caliber LEE REALs and 54 caliber improved minies

It gets pretty windy here in south eastern Oklahoma! But for safety reasons, I have a large industrial fan at my door blowing a good amount of air into the shed and open windows inside for ventilation. I put peppermint oil in my lube mix so the ladies in the house don't mind the smell. Even asked me for some for their wax melters!

Dollar General is less than a mile down the highway from my home and they have $2 wax candles with no dyes or scents added. One should last me a while....

I usually shoot PRB out of my 50 cal. but this 54 cal. Pedersoli GPH I got on gunbroker was a steal. I dont think the seller had a clue what he was selling and for damn sure I wasn't going to tell him. 54 ammo is hard to find.

Just as scote4570 said marvelux will cause your pot to build a lot of dirt on the pot side walls not necessarily rusty scale. It also absorbs moisture so you need to be careful when first stirring the pot with a spoon or what ever you use. I probably will not use it I my Lee pots any more but will in my cast iron pot when making ingot alloys. It still works well and less smoke.

Back