• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lee bullet mold question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning gents! I haven't started to cast RBs yet, but have gathered most of the needed items. I purchased a few LEE molds (starting out I am cheap!), and a couple of RCBS molds. I also sprung for an adjustable clamping tension set of handles from ST Machining (through Desperado Cowboy Bullets) that fits all three major brands of mold blocks. My question is my newer LEE molds seem to have Type U Drive-in Threaded Pins (SKU: BM3042) to hold them onto the handles. The heads will accept a 3/ 32" Allen wrench, but I can't undo the pins. The holes the pins go into do not pass all the way through the blocks. Anybody ever removed those pins before? It looks like I may have to drill down from the top of the blocks on-center to the end of the pin and drive it out with a punch. An easier method would be appreciated! Thanks!

I have used handles by Lyman, RCBS and Saeco as well as factory Lee mold/handle and Rapine mold/handle sets and have never seen the need for adjustable tension (compression?) handles. Use the Lees as is with no worries and the adjustable handles on your other blocks. It simply isn't worth the trouble to change the handles on the lee molds.

Last edited:
I probably have at least three dozen molds for bullets and ball. Most of them are Lee and I like the handles that come with them and can't figure why anyone would want to replace them. The molds include Lyman, Saeco, the UK brass mold maker, T/C, RCBS, DGW and the Lees. I much prefer the Lee for casting ball; it's just easier.

OK, then, I'll leave the Lee handles alone, fellas! Thanks for your insight! The reason I was considering using the ST Machining adjustable handles was because someone (http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluation_of_Locking_Handles_for_Casting_Moulds.html) made a study of weight consistency of over a hundred bullets cast with just gripping the handles while filling the mold compared to over a hundred bullets cast with uniform grip pressure provided by the adjustable tension feature of these handles. The over a hundred bullets cast with just normal grip pressure showed more bullets near the lightest and heaviest extremes in weight and less in the middle range than those cast with tension, which had fewer bullets at each extreme and more near the center of the spread. I guess I was hoping to make my cheaper sows ear molds perform more like the silk purse ones with as much consistency as possible. I will certainly try the handles on my RCBS molds!

xctmp6t6xH8.png
OK, blackeagle, here is a pic of the pins Lee evidently now uses to attach their molds to the handles. They are pressed (maybe pounded) up into the blind holes on the bottom of the mold blocks and pass through the handles. No easy way to remove them that I can see!

I’ve always had very good results with cheap Lee molds, for both black powder and unmentionables. Just inspect the balls before using them and recycle any that are wrinkled or look funny, like you would for any other mold.

OK, then, I'll leave the Lee handles alone, fellas! Thanks for your insight! The reason I was considering using the ST Machining adjustable handles was because someone (http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluation_of_Locking_Handles_for_Casting_Moulds.html) made a study of weight consistency of over a hundred bullets cast with just gripping the handles while filling the mold compared to over a hundred bullets cast with uniform grip pressure provided by the adjustable tension feature of these handles. The over a hundred bullets cast with just normal grip pressure showed more bullets near the lightest and heaviest extremes in weight and less in the middle range than those cast with tension, which had fewer bullets at each extreme and more near the center of the spread. I guess I was hoping to make my cheaper sows ear molds perform more like the silk purse ones with as much consistency as possible. I will certainly try the handles on my RCBS molds!
Don't overthink what is, essentially, a simple matter. Cast and enjoy.

Good morning gents! I haven't started to cast RBs yet, but have gathered most of the needed items. I purchased a few LEE molds (starting out I am cheap!), and a couple of RCBS molds. I also sprung for an adjustable clamping tension set of handles from ST Machining (through Desperado Cowboy Bullets) that fits all three major brands of mold blocks. My question is my newer LEE molds seem to have Type U Drive-in Threaded Pins (SKU: BM3042) to hold them onto the handles. The heads will accept a 3/ 32" Allen wrench, but I can't undo the pins. The holes the pins go into do not pass all the way through the blocks. Anybody ever removed those pins before? It looks like I may have to drill down from the top of the blocks on-center to the end of the pin and drive it out with a punch. An easier method would be appreciated! Thanks!
I have a few Lee molds and they come with handles. You don't need to do anything with them to get started. I have never had to put a drill to them! Contact Lee with your questions. They are a great company.

Clint, I am going to jump in here. I have been casting bullets, round balls and Minie balls since the early 1960's. I first started using Lee molds in the early 1970's. All of them work well if you learn how to use them. By that I mean round balls are easy to cast and don't require any special considerations to turn out good consistent balls. Just make sure you smoke the molds ( I actually use a liquid product made for that purpose), make sure the mold is hot enough and the lead is hot enough.
Minie balls and bullets can be a different story as method of filling the mold goes. Some can be particular in the way they need to be used as the casting process goes.
At last count I have over 70 molds. I keep them in a dark corner of the shop, I think they are reproducing . . .

I have used Lee molds for about ten years. When you learn the craft of casting RB, you will find they turn out a better product as sent out of the box. Enjoy the learning curve.

weigh all the balls and seperate them by weight. discard the light ones!

Back