• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

getting into BP squirrel hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Marshall

32 Cal.
Reaction score
im a newbie wanting to get into black powder squirrel hunting and was wanting to find out where to get a good accurate shooting percussion.36cal rifle. ive been looking at traditions and sitting fox rifles. thanks, Robert

Inexpensive way to go is a traditions or CVA. I Have a tack driving crockett .32 and a traditions bobcat .36 that I have yet to get "dialed in". Fox and other customs are real nice but you'll never shoot enough squirrels to justify the expense unless the market of tree rat kabobs skyrockets! :blah:

Its a great pass time of mine. I will scout out some water holes (we call em "tanks" out here) with tall pines and just sit down and wait. I often limit out this way.

Head shots only! both the .32 and the .36 will tear up the meat bad even with light loads.

Welcome and enjoy!

Depending on how much money you want to spend and whether or not you want a "new" rifle your choices could be almost endless.

In the "off the shelf" market you are limited to offerings by Traditions IN 32 CAL (no 36 offering) and Pedersoli.

The Traditions will get you shooting tree rats for about 600 bucks (rifle/powder/accessories). It will shoot well and is a good rifle to get started with.

You may not like it so you won't have a great deal invested if you decide on another hobby.

If you are looking for a little better fit/finish than Traditions offers you could look to Pedersoli. In the 700-1000 dollar range they have a few offerings in 36 cal.

I won't offer an opinion on Sitting Fox because I have no first hand experience - others do and it seems like it's a roll of the dice whether you get a decent or sub-standard rifle from them.

If you want to spend a little more, maybe 1500'ish, then a few more options open up. Semi-custom builders such as Tip Curtis and TVM (Matt) do some nice work in that price range.

If you have 100 dollar bills practically falling out of your wallet, it is not all that difficult to find a rifle in the 5-10K range, but you usually don't drop that on a "starter rifle" :grin:

If you don't mind used, then you can watch the "for sale" postings, check local gun shops - 36's pop up from time to time - it's possible you could set yourself up for a couple hundred bucks.

Just be careful if you ever shoot a "black powder squirrel" they tend to explode if you hit them right, so stay well back :rotf:

If the game you intend to hunt is limited to squirrel, rabbit, turkey, and other critters about that size, don't overlook the .32 also as another option.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. The traditions Crockett .32 or a used traditions .36 looks like a pretty good start. Thanks, Robert

Another vote here for watching the classifieds here. I just picked up a new never fired 36 Petersoli Frontier rifle last week out of the classifieds. I bought it from Bluegill Bill and it was a great deal. Just yesterday I bought another unfired flintlock of the same model out of the classifieds as well. Great place to find some great deals. Greg :)

Look at a 36 cal pedersoli frontier they were for sale at flintlocks etc for 719.00 Mines a flinter but drives tacks. Minute of squirrel quality gun all day. And best part theres no wait time you could have it in a week or less

I'd like to get a medium twist .36. That way I'd be shooting round ball as well as patched .357 molds. It's on that big long list of things I'd like to have time for and probably would be upset if I had time for.

Back