• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

German Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some #11 RWS caps that have a green label on the container. They don't slide onto a standard T/C nipple, to tight and fit to loose on a Hotshot nipple, fall right off. Are they made to fit a specific manufacters nipple or type of nipple?

Thanks...Mike

Not that I am aware of. I have found that all cap companies vary a little in their sizing. All I use is that brand of cap (RWS) so all my nipples are tuned (turned) to fit.

Mike: As far as I can understand, there is no international standard for caps, or nipple dimensions. That may be shocking, but it seems to be very true.

If the caps will fit on your nipple, but are loose, just pintch the sides before putting the cap on the nipple and that will hold the cap on the nipple. Its been done that way for years. If you think you are having trouble with a loose cap, think about shooting an underhammer gun! As for caps that won't fit on your nipple, either get a new nipple that will work- don't throw the old one out- or trade the caps to someone who has caps that are too loose, but fit your nipple just fine!

Dave K said:
Not that I am aware of. I have found that all cap companies vary a little in their sizing. All I use is that brand of cap (RWS) so all my nipples are tuned (turned) to fit.
Dave...So do you file or sand a larger nipple so it fits snug.

I should have thought of that before I posted but I slightly pinched a cap and it fit fine on the smaller nipple...Thanks

Mike

You can chuck the nipple in a drill and use sandpaper to turn it down. This takes the metal off more evenly.

If you have a Dixie Gun Works catelog laying around - check the resources section of it. There is a table in there listing various caps by size and make. You will see there is a significant difference in their sizes.

Yes, I stick the nipple in a drill and hold a file to the area that holds the cap until a get a good fit.One that has the cap fitting all the way on,but so I don't have to pinch it to make it stay on. I like them to just loose enough I don't have to use tools to take the cap off and tight enough they won't or can't fall off.

Back