• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

German Jaeger Rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSmith

.58 Caliber, go Big or go Home.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I picked this up from the BG site about 6 years ago. it was CHEAP, Really Cheap. As you can see by the photo's it was / is in bad shape. I took it apart cleaned all the manure and stripped the stock. I then repaired the stock the best i could and gave it a oil finish. never intending to shoot it, just preserve it.
V. CHR. SCHILLING in Suhl
Translates to.
Valentin Christoph Schilling
Suhl Germany.

Anyway, your opinions please.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 38.JPG
    38.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 39.JPG
    39.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0
  • 46.JPG
    46.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 47.JPG
    47.JPG
  • 49.JPG
    49.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Cool rifle. I bet it's fun to hold and study. Can't see the photos super close but the checkering is suspect to me. Just don't seem original to the rifle but it could be. I'm not an authority on these. Anyway, Thanks for sharing it.

Cool rifle. I bet it's fun to hold and study. Can't see the photos super close but the checkering is suspect to me. Just don't seem original to the rifle but it could be. I'm not an authority on these. Anyway, Thanks for sharing it.
I think the stock is original, but i also think the checkering was added later.
I am looking into replacing the stock with a new one but have not decided as of yet.
If anyone out there has info on the maker please post it, i think it is from the 1850 time frame.
Caliber it .58. the breech plug has a cone built into it the protrudes into the chamber area, strange.
thanks.

I am looking into replacing the stock with a new one but have not decided as of yet.
If anyone out there has info on the maker please post it, i think it is from the 1850 time frame.
Caliber it .58. the breech plug has a cone built into it the protrudes into the chamber area, strange.
thanks.
Rather than replacing the original stock, look for a good repair service to rework the split wrist. (At least remove the excess glue from your repair.) The internet is loaded with biographical info on Schiller, his guns, associations, family tree, etc. One posted gun is similar to yours (below); I personally guess that the stock is original on your gun, but not the checkering, as it looks like a more modern design . Likewise, the rear sight may be a later replacement.. but this is not really my area of collecting. Note also the profile of the hammer spur and the hammer screw design on the original if you want to duplicate them
Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 12.20.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 12.30.41 PM.png
.Your gun looks like one that was posted last year by "SSMANDAVID"

Rather than replacing the original stock, look for a good repair service to rework the split wrist. (At least remove the excess glue from your repair.) The internet is loaded with biographical info on Schiller, his guns, associations, family tree, etc. One posted gun is similar to yours (below); I personally guess that the stock is original on your gun, but not the checkering, as it looks like a more modern design . Likewise, the rear sight may be a later replacement.. but this is not really my area of collecting. Note also the profile of the hammer spur and the hammer screw design on the original if you want to duplicate themView attachment 273243View attachment 273244.Your gun looks like one that was posted last year by "SSMANDAVID"
Thank you, the stock is bone dry and feels as if it could crumble. i do not plan to shoot it, just preserve it.

yes, posted by me last year in a different account, i had the account closed because of a disagreement with a fellow member. i just recently found the original photo's i thought were gone forever, so i figured i would repost and see what could be found. From what i have read there were more than one maker of same name, father son, perhaps. any idea on the time frame? my guess of 1850 is based on the design and hardware.
PS, the wood has a musty, spicy smell, almost like it was in a damp wood pile.

OK, here are some photos of the Breech Plug, back of the lock and rear sight.
as you can see there is a S/N and maker marks on the Barrel and plug.
Any clues?
thanks

Attachments

• 50.JPG
    50.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 51.JPG
    51.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 52.JPG
    52.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 53.JPG
    53.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 54.JPG
    54.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 55.JPG
    55.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 56.JPG
    56.JPG
  • 57.JPG
    57.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
Hello all, I picked this up from the BG site about 6 years ago. it was CHEAP, Really Cheap. As you can see by the photo's it was / is in bad shape. I took it apart cleaned all the manure and stripped the stock. I then repaired the stock the best i could and gave it a oil finish. never intending to shoot it, just preserve it.
Translates to.
Suhl Germany.

Thanks.
Beautiful. I place it around 1860.

thanks.
I would not replace the stock! Or, at least remove it without damaging it so that you could re-install it if you had to.

Translates to.
Suhl Germany.

Thanks.
Weirdly enough! I just bought it's brother. Any more info on our/your Gun? (I have been posting this message on a few other threads, sorry being redundant) How can you find guns this similar?
German Jaeger Seller (1).jpg
German Jaeger Seller (3).jpg

Attachments

• German Jaeger Seller (5).jpg
    German Jaeger Seller (5).jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 0
  • German Jaeger Seller (15).jpg
    German Jaeger Seller (15).jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 0
  • German Jaeger Seller (18).jpg
    German Jaeger Seller (18).jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 0
  • German Jaeger Seller (20).jpg
    German Jaeger Seller (20).jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 0
Translates to.
Suhl Germany.

Thanks.
Valentin Christian Achilling was active in Suhl from 1849-1900. This should be around 1849-50 ish.

Weirdly enough! I just bought it's brother. Any more info on our/your Gun? (I have been posting this message on a few other threads, sorry being redundant) How can you find guns this similar?View attachment 281481View attachment 281482
Most unusual feature on this Jaeger hunting rifle is the metal plate inletted opposite of the lock.
Rifles & pistols with back-action locks tend to suffer from breaks in the lock/wrist area, this maker had a good idea !!!
Most military era flint & percussion era military pistols featured grips reinforced with straps of steel or brass.
Relic shooter

Back