• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, the Ethanol. That little plastic "bubble" that primes the engine got brittle and cracked into 3 pieces.

I'm also going to try and mix my own fuel. 2 stroke engines use a mix of gasoline and oil but that ready mixed stuff is expensive.
It sure is. Just verify the mix ratio for your machine. Most is pretty standard, a few are different though.

I pay the extra money and use non-ethanol in all the small engines, 4 wheelers, and jeep. Add preservative to gas I keep in cans at the camp. And the chain saw and weed eater get run dry unless I know they'll be used again soon. Same with the log splitter, I drain the gas and let it run dry. Nothing worse than letting engines sit with old gas, especially if it has ethanol in it.

Tree felling class - Stihl dealer/service tech said people leave fuel in stuff too long. Ethanol especially separates with water on bottom, gas on top. There is sometimes just enough fuel left in carb to fire/start, but then the motor is trying to burn water. He advises never to store chainsaw more than overnight with fuel in it and not to use mixed gas over 30 days old. Since I took that class about 5 years back, when I follow his advice - no problems. Sometimes I forget, don't drain, etc...sometimes I have problems.

Today, zero turn mower broke something in the mower deck/blades/area. EXACTLY on the day I bought it last year. Waiting to see if Cub Cadet warranty is "real" or not. Have copy of receipt with the time/date/credit card, etc. About 4 grand at stake..

But 10% Ethanol would work in a 2 stroke engine when mixed with motor oil, right?
Best bet is to only mix a gallon of gas/oil at a time. That way you won't waste a bunch. Only fill your tank if you are going to use it all. If you aren't sure, just put maybe a third of a tank in. If you run out while mowing, tilling, just put some more in. Save you a bunch of headaches in the long run.

I had been considering getting a Cub Cadet as my next mower. Everyone who ones one say "Cub Cadet are not what it used to be". I used to consider Cub Cadet mower as second only to a John Deere mower but even those are not what they used to be.

Best bet is to only mix a gallon of gas/oil at a time. That way you won't waste a bunch. Only fill your tank if you are going to use it all. If you aren't sure, just put maybe a third of a tank in. If you run out while mowing, tilling, just put some more in. Save you a bunch of headaches in the long run.
Actually I wasn't even going to mix a whole gallon. I was gonna use the metal containers that the store bought 50-1 fuel came in. I think it's about 32 ounces.

Tree felling class - Stihl dealer/service tech said people leave fuel in stuff too long. Ethanol especially separates with water on bottom, gas thon top. There is sometimes just enough fuel left in carb to fire/start, but then the motor is trying to burn water. He advises never to store chainsaw more than overnight with fuel in it and not to use mixed gas over 30 days old. Since I took that class about 5 years back, when I follow his advice - no problems. Sometimes I forget, don't drain, etc...sometimes I have problems.

Today, zero turn mower broke something in the mower deck/blades/area. EXACTLY on the day I bought it last year. Waiting to see if Cub Cadet warranty is "real" or not. Have copy of receipt with the time/date/credit card, etc. About 4 grand at stake..

Tree felling class - Stihl dealer/service tech said people leave fuel in stuff too long. Ethanol especially separates with water on bottom, gas on top. There is sometimes just enough fuel left in carb to fire/start, but then the motor is trying to burn water. He advises never to store chainsaw more than overnight with fuel in it and not to use mixed gas over 30 days old. Since I took that class about 5 years back, when I follow his advice - no problems. Sometimes I forget, don't drain, etc...sometimes I have problems.

I had an old logger tell me that a long time ago. He said keep the bar oil full at all times, and the gas tank not so much. He said that way when your saw runs out of gas, you could drink a beer while waiting for it to cool down to refuel.

I had been considering getting a Cub Cadet as my next mower. Everyone who ones one say "Cub Cadet are not what it used to be". I used to consider Cub Cadet mower as second only to a John Deere mower but even those are not what they used to be.
I have a John Deere. 17 years old. I change the blades, oil, and fuel filter once a year. Grease the fittings and change belts as needed.Cant kill it. Id like it to blow up so I can get a zero turn. There is a difference between Deere's purchased at Lowes or places like that, versus ones purchased from a dealer.

Actually I wasn't even going to mix a whole gallon. I was gonna use the metal containers that the store bought 50-1 fuel came in. I think it's about 32 ounces.
I have too many things that run on mixed gas to buy it by the quart. Weed eater, leaf blower, chainsaw, edger. That would be nice and convenient though.

If it's an older 2cycle, it may be 40-1 mix ratio. I have my late father's McCullough chainsaw that's a 40-1. Never use it though. The small bottles that are sold in most places are pre measured for a gallon of gas. I think maybe 2.5 ounces? Don't quote me on that. But if that's the only 2 cycle machine you have, buying the pre mixed fuel may be a better option. I hope it works out though, because if you quit raising a garden, who's going to start the thread?

If it's an older 2cycle, it may be 40-1 mix ratio. I have my late father's McCullough chainsaw that's a 40-1. Never use it though. The small bottles that are sold in most places are pre measured for a gallon of gas. I think maybe 2.5 ounces? Don't quote me on that. But if that's the only 2 cycle machine you have, buying the pre mixed fuel may be a better option. I hope it works out though, because if you quit raising a garden, who's going to start the thread?
[/QUOTE] Why you are of course.

Found a dealer who specializes in landscapers, parks, golf courses and such. Wound up with a Ferris zero turn with a 27HP Kawasaki engine and 48 inch deck. 15 Years with no troubles. Dealer services it every winter. Store it on concrete inside my barn. Cuts pretty and cuts fast.

About 2 cycle engines: Have them in a Mantis, a weed whacker, a leaf blower and a chain saw. For the last few years have used nothing but Stihl pre mixed fuel. Eliminated all my 2 stroke problems. Stihl says it is good for a year from the time you open a can and I can believe it. It is not cheap, but I am not a professional and so do not really use a lot of it.

Why you are of course.
[/QUOTE]
Well that wouldn't work out so well. You fellas down there have already, planted and even enjoying some of your yield before it's even close to planting up this way.

It was mentioned above.. I used the small bottles to mix.

For storage. I fill it with new gas.. add some stabil marine.

I leaves less air space in the tank so less moisture gets in I've heard.

Bad gas blows engines fast. I blew a snowmobile engine.

People here who don't eat tomatoes. They grow those tomatoes. They want to give it to friends who do when they visit. You know look how nice my tomatoes are. Gotta try it.

Everyone's growing tomatoes..

Last edited:
Back