• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muscadines are supposed to be a Super food. One of the few things you can eat that is packed with all the right stuff. And I’ve read that even as a wine it is very healthy for you.
Sounds like a win win.

I usually have to replace a tomato or two that for some reason didn't make it. There was no replanting or replacing this year and I wound up with 5 "extras". They need to be put in the ground or in bigger containers.I am out of space in my garden but there is a bare spot in my wife's small flower garden. I call it Carol's Herb Garden. I don't think she'd mind if I borrowed a few square feet of it.

been picking asparagus for a week now ,gust pick 3 pounds this morning. Weather has turned cold so that should slow down the asparagus ,but it has been raining. Found over 60 morle mushrooms in the past week as well, not big though 1 to 4 inches tall . I was and still very happy to have found them. They were all in a area about 30x40 feet in my front yard.

Okay so peppers love the potassium in the banana peel, that is understandable. What would the potassium nitrate do for any plant? You know the stuff we nitrate paper with in making paper cartridges.

Well, here in nw Nebraska it's currently 40.. Going to be 22 again tonight with chance of snow tomorrow.. My elderberry, buffaloberry and currants are waking up, and the lilacs and a couple trees. We planted all our "spring" stuff last week, have a little lettuce and bok choy just starting to peek up. Hopefully it starts warming up next week, we've finally got some moisture, just need a little warmth. Maybe the morels will be popping then too. Ready for some maters this summer!
IMG_20230818_223406_358.jpg

Okay so peppers love the potassium in the banana peel, that is understandable. What would the potassium nitrate do for any plant? You know the stuff we nitrate paper with in making paper cartridges.
I think it would kill it from the high salt content.

Edit - Plus, they say saltpeter keeps the sprout from rising..... 😄

Last edited:
Actually, as long as you don’t overdo it, Potassium Nitrate is a great vegetable fertilizer, but using too much will burn the plants or kill them like Tom A Hawk said.

I make muscadine wine with mine. I wish I could gift you some bottles.
My wife makes wine of many kinds. Really, really good stuff.
However, several years ago she discovered that her fermenting vat was leaking. She picked up the 5 gallon container and turned to put it in the sink. She slipped on the wet floor and went down, fracturing her hip. The vat split open and there was wine all over her and all across the kitchen floor! I can imagine what the EMT's and the hospital staff thought with her reeking of wine.
Anyway, she has recovered well, and is back on her feet and active again.

I am jealous. My grapes are just starting to emerge, the garden has yet to be planted . The weatherman is calling for a frost tonight. The plus is that Lake Erie extends our fall growing season.

I planted tomatoes last Sunday and may lose them this week. I have plenty more growing in cups indoors if that happens, but it is annoying. I'm trying to get some seed in the ground here atthe farm this morning before I head back home. So far it seems I can only call hen turkeys, might as well head back today.

I want to plant sunflowers, squash, amaranth, and tomatillos today.

Well, "Management" twisted her knee to the point most gardening for her part is on hold. I had everything tilled up looking like "Mother Earth News", but we got a 1 1/2 inch rain and a light frost -so it's good we didn't have much planted.

Went "fishing" at Mark Twain Lake Fri & Sat with two couples who paid Forty Dollars a pound for Morel Mushrooms in Columbia. Missouri. Two days of pontoon boat piloting brought in two fish the size of your hand. Crappie are not spawning, yet. Forty dollar morels are no different from those you find,

I don't like morels near enough to go look for them, let alone pay $40 a pound.

I didn't bother planting today, too cold and will be cold for the next few days. I have to go back in 10 days or so to plant some trees from the state nursery, so I'll plant then.

I'm a bit envious, your squash is ready! So far I've gotten 1 out of the garden. Who can eat just 1 squash? When did you plant?
This pic is March 12, these came from the local nursery. I have 3 others I planted by seed that is a little behind. These are the ones I pick from today. I get you pics of the seedlings tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240420-204549_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420-204549_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back