• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gardens are tilled, ready to plant, but "Management" (wife) sprained her knee, putting a kink in our schedule. So far, cabbage & turnips are in the ground. Turnips are the Favorite snack of Max, the Bassett hound who has finally dug the last left over turnip out of the garden. Have well over an acre to go but here we have a chance of frost into early May.

So far the only trouble I'm having is the potatoes.They are not coming up yet. Maybe the ground is too cold or I planted them too deep? But I'm not really worried about them. I really wanted them for their flowers anyway.To help attract Bees.
Most likely soil is still a little too cool. They should come up fine.

No real update yet, but I'm seeing yellow blossoms on a few of the tomato plants. About time to give those a little Epsom Salt. Do y'all do that as well? A sprinkle of Epsom Salt at first sign of blooming?
Yes Epsom salt is great for all plants . I also take the banana skins put them in a bucket with water let soak for 2 to 3 weeks then pore on ground around the pepper plants. The love the potassium.

Hoping for a good peach crop this year. Lost the peaches to late frost last two years

Attachments

• 20240409_142045.jpg
    20240409_142045.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
over the past two days (Mon and Tues) I completed planting my garden. Sweet corn, okra, summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, green peppers, and a hot banana pepper, and onions.
Now, today's weather report says we will get some severe thunderstorms, high winds, and possibly hail. I was planning on doing some turkey hunting, but I think I'll stay home and sort fishing tackle. ;)

Yes Epsom salt is great for all plants . I also take the banana skins put them in a bucket with water let soak for 2 to 3 weeks then pore on ground around the pepper plants. The love the potassium.
I have some "banana skin tea" mellowing and aging . I was wondering which plants to give it to. Peppers, you say?

The squash is in a rush here. Tomatoes trying to keep up and I should have planted more string beans. Strawberries are limping along.

Attachments

• 20240417_125211.jpg
    20240417_125211.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240417_125229.jpg
    20240417_125229.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240417_125322.jpg
    20240417_125322.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240417_125342.jpg
    20240417_125342.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I think I overdid it. I tried to take some of my garden back with a hoe. Bermuda Grass had taken over some of the "acreage"(a couple of 100 square feet actually) .Tilling it up just spreads it and you wind up with more grass and less garden next year .I needed an extra row for some more Okra and decided to chop the grass out roots and all then till it. I got that row but I did some heavy sweating for it. All because I started more Okra seeds than I had room for. I had intended to grow only 2 rows. But had enough "starters" in cups to handle 3 rows.

Last edited:
I think I over did it. I tried to take some of my garden back with a hoe. Bermuda Grass had taken over some of the "acreage"(a couple of 100 square feet actually) .Tilling it up just spreads it and you wind up with more grass and less garden next year .I needed an extra row for some more Okra and decided to chop the grass out roots and all then till it. I got that row but I did some heavy sweating for it. All because I started more Okra seeds than I had room for. I had intended to grow only 2 rows. But had enough "starters" in cups to handle 3 rows.
My wife says "Good, now we have room for some cucumbers".Actually we don't but you can see where her priorities are.

Bush hogged earlier until was sick of it. I took okra seeds out of the freezer yesterday and soaked them for a few hours and prepped to beds in the fenced garden. Got them planted and, of course, took out way too many seeds, so I cleaned off another bed and a half and planted some more. Then finished putting the cane poles up for the beans to run up. Took a couple of photos of my muscadines so @Piquant could see how far behind they are here.

Attachments

• IMG_3596.jpeg
    IMG_3596.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3597.jpeg
    IMG_3597.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3595.jpeg
    IMG_3595.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3598.jpeg
    IMG_3598.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Bush hogged earlier until was sick of it. I took okra seeds out of the freezer yesterday and soaked them for a few hours and prepped to beds in the fenced garden. Got them planted and, of course, took out way too many seeds, so I cleaned off another bed and a half and planted some more. Then finished putting the cane poles up for the beans to run up. Took a couple of photos of my muscadines so @Piquant could see how far behind they are here.
My muscadine are getting ready to flower. What a big difference the little distance makes in growing times.

Attachments

• 20240418_145851.jpg
    20240418_145851.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240418_145828.jpg
    20240418_145828.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Looking good TDM. I'm thinking about doing some raised beds for asparagus, I'm just too much of a cheapskate to buy the lumber🤣. Gonna make any wine with those muscadines?

Looking good TDM. I'm thinking about doing some raised beds for asparagus, I'm just too much of a cheapskate to buy the lumber🤣. Gonna make any wine with those muscadines?
Yes, or at least I used to. Last year one of my Sons wanted to try wine making so I gave him all my equipment. I was probably premature on that because what’s left of different fruit wines and muscadine wine I bottled 4 and 5 years ago has aged wonderfully. But it’s almost all gone now. We plan to make jelly this year and give most away.

I appreciate the thought. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but was told if I ever tried good muscadine wine I'd change my time.
Muscadines are supposed to be a Super food. One of the few things you can eat that is packed with all the right stuff. And I’ve read that even as a wine it is very healthy for you.

Back