• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pick okra the length of your middle finger. You will have to pick every day to keep it in control.

Try this to control pepper eating deer. For years I have used a raw egg whipped with a fork in a cup then mixed with a quart of warm water, strained thru a wire sieve. Pour it into a spray bottle. Mist it onto your plants after dew is off. Renew after rains and every few days. It’s been cheap and effective for me.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it! I did try hair from the barber shop (barber got a kick out of that, I'm going bald), that didn't do anything. I don't mind the critters gettin a taste, but they ate them all 🤣

I love me some hot peppers. Got to have that pepper sauce for turnips and collards. I like a mix of Tabasco and Cayenne together, makes a wonderful sauce.
Do you just poke holes in the peppers, put them in a bottle and top with white vinegar? My grandma used to make something like that, but with I knew the exact recipe.

Do you just poke holes in the peppers, put them in a bottle and top with white vinegar? My grandma used to make something like that, but with I knew the exact recipe.

You can cut the peppers in half, if you like, but not absolutely necessary.
For a pint jar I use
About 1/16 of a teaspoon of salt
Half a teaspoon of chopped garlic
Add peppers and cover with vinegar (do not boil vinegar)

You can cut the peppers in half, if you like, but not absolutely necessary.
For a pint jar I use
About 1/16 of a teaspoon of salt
Half a teaspoon of chopped garlic
Add peppers and cover with vinegar (do not boil vinegar)
Thank you. I'm going to make some. Hope it tastes as good as my minds eye remembers.

Thank you. I'm going to make some. Hope it tastes as good as my minds eye remembers.
Just remember you need to allow your first batch to age for at least a season to flavor good if you are cold packing. If you want to use it in a week or two, boil your vinegar.

I prefer cold packing because boiling the vinegar cooks the peppers when it’s poured onto the peppers and softens them. I like my peppers to be more crispy.

I started tomato seeds in cups today. It will be 8 weeks before I dare plant them out in the garden. I need to plant the onion seedlings I started a month ago out in the garden.

A week ago I started a batch of fermented jalapeños for hot sauce. Should be done in two more weeks. I ended up with a gallon of them.

I put land scape cloth down for a garden in north Missouri at my little deer hunting farm and plan to get something planted there this spring. No idea what yet. I planted some sun chokes last fall there. Hopefully I can keep them from over running the place.

Just remember you need to allow your first batch to age for at least a season to flavor good if you are cold packing. If you want to use it in a week or two, boil your vinegar.

I prefer cold packing because boiling the vinegar cooks the peppers when it’s poured onto the peppers and softens them. I like my peppers to be more crispy.
Thanks for the tip. I probably couldn't wait that long 🤣

Different project, same category. They kind of put me in charge of the "flower beds" in front of our church. We are doing away with the hedges (froze out, again) and are going to do a rock garden (white rocks). I plan on digging down a few inches then putting down a layer of tar paper. Rocks on top. My nephew wants to put Roundup herbicide under the tar paper. I don't like messing with that stuff.I'm thinking alot of Baking Soda to change the PH factor should keep the grass and weeds from coming through. Then some Epsom Salts, maybe. Any thoughts? I am not a landscape gardener, I do vegetables.I contend Deacon is Latin for groundskeeper.
I read that baking soda is great for gardening and a organic bug killer. Epson salt is great for pepper plants and asparagus.

Roundup was mentioned a ways back. It is a contact herbicide and as far as I know won’t do a much to stop weeds or other plants from growing once it is on or in the soil. If you want to stop things from growing you need a pre emergent such as Preen. Just make sure you know what the product does. On another note I would be hesitant about putting tarpaper in or on the ground. A layer of cardboard would be better.
Yes cardboard!!

Is creole a variety of tomato? I got 3 varieties of Heirloom tomatoes in the ground already and probably won't put anymore in (this year) but you have me curious about the "creole". Heirloom?
Creole tomatoes are not heirloom. I don't think the seed will grow anything. But it's a popular tomatoes in this area. Bought from the local nursery.

Creole tomatoes are not heirloom. I don't think the seed will grow anything. But it's a popular tomatoes in this area. Bought from the local nursery.
Now you got me curious, the local nursery states that the Creole variety is Heirloom. I need to look that up. Also at today's stop at the nursery , I bought some Aristotle bell peppers.I wanted the "Big Bertha" variety but all they had was singles at over $3.00 per plant. I got the Aristotle for 6 plants at $4.99. Anyone have any luck with the Aristotle variety?

Now you got me curious, the local nursery states that the Creole variety is Heirloom. I need to look that up. Also at today's stop at the nursery , I bought some Aristotle bell peppers.I wanted the "Big Bertha" variety but all they had was singles at over $3.00 per plant. I got the Aristotle for 6 plants at $4.99. Anyone have any luck with the Aristotle variety?
I could be wrong, happened many times before. I think these come from LSU ag. I don't think it's a variety but a name given for marketing. Google creole tomatoes

I could be wrong, happened many times before. I think these come from LSU ag. I don't think it's a variety but a name given for marketing. Google creole tomatoes
The guy at the nursery said there really is a variety called "Creole".

The guy at the nursery said there really is a variety called "Creole".
@Piquant is correct. I just did some research and learned things I never knew. I always thought Creole tomatoes were a separate, heirloom variety. But evidently that’s not the case. Like Piquant said, the LSU Ag Center labeled a new variety “Creole” in 1969, but what the name really means is any tomato grown in the alluvial soil of south Louisiana. I always thought the shape made them Creoles. Learn something new everyday.

@Piquant is correct. I just did some research and learned things I never knew. I always thought Creole tomatoes were a separate, heirloom variety. But evidently that’s not the case. Like Piquant said, the LSU Ag Center labeled a new variety “Creole” in 1969, but what the name really means is any tomato grown in the alluvial soil of south Louisiana. I always thought the shape made them Creoles. Learn something new everyday.

You guys have me intrigued now. I’m just gonna have to see if I can find that variety seed and bury ‘em

You guys have me intrigued now. I’m just gonna have to see if I can find that variety seed and bury ‘em
I’ve been gardening in Louisiana since 1978 and always thought that Creoles had the pointy bottoms. I had heard of Creoles before but In Arkansas we mostly grew Big Boys & Better Boys. This was in Delta soil and they did great. We just didn’t have the access to information then that we have now. From the little research I did today, it said most tomatoes sold as Creoles we’re actually Celebrities. Which is another good variety that I plant. I think the soil is the key.

I’ve been gardening in Louisiana since 1978 and always thought that Creoles had the pointy bottoms. I had heard of Creoles before but In Arkansas we mostly grew Big Boys & Better Boys. This was in Delta soil and they did great. We just didn’t have the access to information then that we have now. From the little research I did today, it said most tomatoes sold as Creoles we’re actually Celebrities. Which is another good variety that I plant. I think the soil is the key.
Celebrity is a good all around tomato but is not a Heirloom variety.

Back