• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soil is worn out in my 25 ft. , by 30 ft , 25 yr . old garden. Can't justify , at my age , to repair the damage. I'll try a plastic , 55 gal barrel w/ both ends removed. Just sit it on the ground in the sun , plug two large fruit tomato plants into well fertilized soil , water , and see what happends.
Till in some horse manure or mushroom soil. Lime. Compost. Let it stew for nest year. Leaves this fall.. Don't take a lot of sweat to repair. Take your time.

Today, tilled ground and planted about 125' of sugar snap peas, the first sweet peas I have planted in many years. I found that I am less than half the man I was just a few years ago and even then I wasn’t as much as I once was. All I could do today was that little project, till another area 60 X 16, cut down a 10” X40’ poplar, trim it, cut it into firewood length, split it, haul and stack it, burn a couple of brush piles. As my mom's cousin from way back in the country would say "I’m plum worde out".

Well we got the "rock flower bed" almost done at church and I am worn out.It took 36 bags of river rocks and I feel like I picked up 35 too many.Sure dulled my pocket knife opening those bags.

I had intended to do some tomato transplanting today but my stepson and his cousin were available.So we worked at the rock bed at church. But look out tomorrow, I get to work in "My garden."

Last edited:
Temperatures here in the Philippines stay pretty much the same year round. Our garden does require constant replanting because seems that the veggies do have a life cycle. We have lots of different peppers, and tomatoes. We also grow nice eggplant, cucumbers, okra, carrots, hanging long green beans, ect. I let my workers that are helping build our house here on Marinduque Island take care of the garden. They have planted a lot of local veggies in there that I know nothing about, except that they are yummy. lol Got a cheap light weight tiller from China. ( cost $120.00 ) It works great. 2 cycle, 20 to 1 mix. really happy I bought it. I had the workers put in a sprinkler system, but they prefer to water the plants by hand. All I have to do is buy the seed, or dry the seeds removed from the peppers / tomatoes. I mostly just sit in my bamboo chair and enjoy.

Last edited:
Roundup was mentioned a ways back. It is a contact herbicide and as far as I know won’t do a much to stop weeds or other plants from growing once it is on or in the soil. If you want to stop things from growing you need a pre emergent such as Preen. Just make sure you know what the product does. On another note I would be hesitant about putting tarpaper in or on the ground. A layer of cardboard would be better.

Roundup was mentioned a ways back. It is a contact herbicide and as far as I know won’t do a much to stop weeds or other plants from growing once it is on or in the soil. If you want to stop things from growing you need a pre emergent such as Preen. Just make sure you know what the product does. On another note I would be hesitant about putting tarpaper in or on the ground. A layer of cardboard would be better.
yep, carcinogens in tar paper, I'd be using black Visqueen, Preen is OK I've had better luck with Casoron, I use it religiously every April on my gravel driveway and parking areas and it controls any weed or grass growth for the year. Best contact herbicide I ever used was Crossbow, stuff is amazing, only thing that works on Blackberries (our state weed), unfortunately the Salmon huggers here have managed to make it illegal here, turning into commiefornia, if I was 25 years younger I'd be moving east to Idaho

Have tried cardboard but it is even more "temporary" than tar paper. It works but after a few watering, it's about gone or full of holes. The place we went to were out of Preen so we got Ortho. We'll see how it works.

yep, carcinogens in tar paper, I'd be using black Visqueen, Preen is OK I've had better luck with Casoron, I use it religiously every April on my gravel driveway and parking areas and it controls any weed or grass growth for the year. Best contact herbicide I ever used was Crossbow, stuff is amazing, only thing that works on Blackberries (our state weed), unfortunately the Salmon huggers here have managed to make it illegal here, turning into commiefornia, if I was 25 years younger I'd be moving east to Idaho
I don't think carcinogens will do much damage in a rock/ornamental flower bed in front of a church. Nothing for human consumption will be grown there.

I thought of Eutycus

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227-180836_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227-180836_Facebook.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 0
Planted peas out the other day, potatoes yesterday, and started kale seeds inside this afternoon. I’ll start spinach tomorrow.
We lost our poor old lady dog last Saturday night, so we buried her Sunday morning, and now we’re raising a mound over her grave. Wove a wattle enclosure as a raised bed, put a bunch of saplings and pine boughs in. Getting a yard of soil in there next week, and we’ll plant daffodils- she loved them- on top for next year.
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_4734.jpeg
    IMG_4734.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Still a ways out for me. I’m ready though. Usually grow a LOT of okra. This year putting in corn. Dreading fighting the raccoons but I’m gonna try

Planted peas out the other day, potatoes yesterday, and started kale seeds inside this afternoon. I’ll start spinach tomorrow.
We lost our poor old lady dog last Saturday night, so we buried her Sunday morning, and now we’re raising a mound over her grave. Wove a wattle enclosure as a raised bed, put a bunch of saplings and pine boughs in. Getting a yard of soil in there next week, and we’ll plant daffodils- she loved them- on top for next year.
Jay
Sorry for your loss Jay.

Back