• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fusil DeChasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Chous

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi , just purchased my first smoothebore, 20 ga. where do I start as far as powder charges ? I have 2f and 3f as well as 4f for priming,Im interested in shot as well as ball ....

I recently picked up a used one myself. The previous owner gave me a shot load of:
50gr 3f
over shot card
1/2" fiber wad
over shot card
75gr shot
over shot card

For ball:
65gr of 3f
pillow ticking patch
.590 or .595 ball

I'll finally get to shoot it this afternoon.

I am sure you heard this before, but only use black powder in a flintlock. Substitutes just don't work.

So far, the advice given is good. You can set aside the 2f and 4f powders. 3f works fine for both the main load and the priming charge. Using 4f for the prime may provide a faster ignition than 3f but it is likely that you will need some pretty precise measuring methods to tell. You are better served by a good nipple pick to clear the touch hole before firing.

The 2f powder will work fine for the main charge and can work as the priming powder also. As a priming powder it may be a little slower than 3f or 4f.

By the way, the 2f or 4f powders can be used. Use a little more 2f (about 10%) than the 3f. Only use the 4f for priming.

Measure your bore diameter before you select a ball size. If you use lubricated patching for the ball, get a ball that is about 0.020" smaller in diameter than your bore.

For shot, you can get the 0.625 or 20 gauge over shot cards. All you need to start is the over shot cards. Put a nick on the edge or a small off center hole in the cards. Load the powder. Then one at a time load three over shot cards with the nick or hole offset. The hole allows air to escape and makes loading so much easier. Then its time for the desired shot and finally load the over shot card.

Prime your piece and make smoke.

Sound advice on from the Board,

The standard service load for a 20 ga. shotgun is 65 grains of powder and 7/8 oz. of shot.
Patched ball is .020 under bore size with .020” patch.

Because of varying bore sizes and the available selection of balls, you may need a .015 or .010 patch.

You can also start with a lighter charge if you wish. 40 or 50 grains or so until you get a feel for things.

Latest posts

Back