• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only suggestion would be to not use the pins included in the kit, the ones I got were way to big.

The key to doing the inletting is to go very slowly, no Dremel tools. You will see sloppy inlets here occasionally when people get too agressive with their tools. If it takes you a whole day to inlet a lock plate to get a good tight fit it is time well spent.

I actually spent weeks inletting an English fowler buttplate because I started with way too much extra wood and thought I needed to inlet the inside curvature as well as the outside edges. I took my time and got a really nice fit but wouldn't do it the same way again.

Way too much wood to go down through one tiny chip at a time;
ek6tz2O.jpg

It came out OK;

RoZqYEw.jpg

One thing Ron Ehlert taught me was to not inlet any more than you have to. Get the trigger in place, get the stock profile cut, work out your pull length where you want the buttplate to be and cut it to length, then turn the buttplate backwards, hold it in position, and trace it onto the end grain of the butt, and then shape the butt down to nearly final dimensions. THEN inlet the buttplate, and you only have to inlet to a depth of the thickness of the buttplate tang, and you don't have to try to inlet through a quarter inch of "extra wood". :wink:

I've been really busy with work but I had a couple of hours last Sunday to shape the tang and start inletting the barrel. I worked on inletting the barrel a little today. It's going slow, but, I will have a lot more free time this week.

Back