• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fusil de Chase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 4 custom American made flinters (2 rifles and 2 Fowlers), 1 Pedersoli Rifle, 3 MVT flinters (bess llp, ketland and Fusil de chasse) and a loyalist flinter (77 charleville). I am fortunate in that I live 2 hours from Pete (MVT) and have a summer home 30min from Loyalist so I went and picked out the one I wanted.

The most reliable by far is the bess. I swear it will fire underwater.

The quality is not the best and there is WAY too much wood in the stocks but they are very serviceable and inexpensive. I live fire mine but I do not hunt with them. That is what the American guns are for.

On to Northstar West!

I've heard nothing but Great things of Northstar West :hatsoff: :bow:

My friend Riverranger, my post was not intended to make fun of you( I should have put a toungue in cheek icon with it) only to take a jab at the topic of these guns which are so venhemently hated by some and cherished by others, I knew in short order the facts would be made clear to you so you could make an informed choice and NSW is a very good place to look, I have had two of these guns and they a very good investment, again I apologize if I offended you with my attempt at humour with a topic that has ran the gauntlet from sublime to ridiculis and downright mean at times,good luck with your choice and enjoy the journey.

As far as performance, I will put my MVTC up against any other musket on this forum. As I stated before, I have not had a single problem with either of the guns I have.
Being historically correct is another matter that has nothing to do with the performance of the gun. It works every time.

Riverranger said:
Thanks fellas! Tommy, I too like the looks of the Early English.
None of my business, but if I was buying a NSW gun I'd go for his standard NW gun, nobody does them better. :thumbsup:

telling the truth dont bother me, but what does is when people paint the whole subject with a broad brush, if every time some one wanted to take up the hobby, and we tell them you gotta spend $XXXX for a fine USA gun only, and they just either dont know if they even will really get into the hobby, or they are on limited means, then we have discouraged ANOTHER potential hobbyist from the sport. And everyone wonders why you cant find any true black powder, or accessories around except on the internet?
I do not want to deny anyone that can afford a great quality musket, more power to you. I for one cant, and with my situation more than likely never will, so I shoot what I can afford and what works. But I am not a snob, if I see anyone that may have an expensive USA built musket on the firing line, I'll still say hello.

Thanks to you as well Tiger. Lots of food for thought. As an aside, when I bought my Bess I thought I was going to look at a Northwest Trade Gun. The guy ran an add on our local gun sale website for "Reproduction British Trade Musket $300". When I got there I instantly saw it was a "Bess" it has good Tower markings etc.. I discovered it was made by Muruku (sp). It has the strongest lock I have ever seen makes my two rifles look puny.Its really neat but I still want a "civilian" arm of that period. Oh, my "period" of interest is the F@I War period. I live on the Allegheny where alot of that stuff happened. I have zero interest in reenacting, but do wish to roam these hills and valleys with a period piece like the guys who settled here did! And if I dont get something else, there is no doubt some evening Ill dock that Bess down to 30 inches and put a bead on it!

I just have such a gun in my shop for a " defarb " .

First question is " what do you need ? "

If you need a good repro of a XVIII th cent french gun for
reenactment purpose , if you can spot the 1/8" difference in lenght between the Track of the Wolf french lock plate and the Rifle Shoppe one , well ... it will not do .

Wrong calibre , too heavy , even with a good defarb , it will still be impossible to reduce the space between the barrel channel and the rod channel . The wood is heavier than walnut ( but can be dyed the right color with anyline dye ) and the barrel is too thick at the muzzle to look french .

If you want an inexpensive solid shooter , with a bit of
modification to the triggger position , it will give years of service .

If you want something to put holes in paper ... I do not know what it is worth , maybe different guns have different precision ? But it would not be my first choice .

I bought a MVTC Ketland a couple of years ago. Spent some time tuning the lock and finished the stock. One of the more accurate smoothness, I have owned. Handsome gun, when it was refinished. Really liked the lock, as it is closer to a original period one... In some ways.

Walnut005-1.jpg

"None of my business, but if I was buying a NSW gun I'd go for his standard NW gun, nobody does them better.'

Geez Mike, back off, don't come down so hard on the Indian guns didn't ya learn nothing from the other post about compassion in your critiques? :rotf: :rotf: :idunno:

tg said:
"None of my business, but if I was buying a NSW gun I'd go for his standard NW gun, nobody does them better.'

Geez Mike, back off, don't come down so hard on the Indian guns didn't ya learn nothing from the other post about compassion in your critiques? :rotf: :rotf: :idunno:
Well, you know how I am, A # 1 jerk who's always blowing his own horn. :haha:

tiger13 said:
telling the truth dont bother me, but what does is when people paint the whole subject with a broad brush, if every time some one wanted to take up the hobby, and we tell them you gotta spend $XXXX for a fine USA gun only, and they just either dont know if they even will really get into the hobby, or they are on limited means, then we have discouraged ANOTHER potential hobbyist from the sport. And everyone wonders why you cant find any true black powder, or accessories around except on the internet?
I do not want to deny anyone that can afford a great quality musket, more power to you. I for one cant, and with my situation more than likely never will, so I shoot what I can afford and what works. But I am not a snob, if I see anyone that may have an expensive USA built musket on the firing line, I'll still say hello.

I don't know that I said anything about how much money he had to spend to get into the hobby, nor am I trying to run anyone off. Just offered some other suggestions. But since you want to take the gloves and political correctness off I wouldn't have an Indian made gun shoved up my ass. I have seen several, a couple of the guys in my unit have them and have had nothing but trouble with them. If you buy an American made gun, not only are you supporting jobs here instead of overseas but you also stand a chance to recoup your money in the event that you need to sell it. Good luck doing that with any of those India muskets. I understand that everyone cannot afford to spend a couple thousand dollars on a gun, especially getting started. But they are also not obligated to spend 4 or 5 hundred dollars on something that is of spotty quality at best that has a barrel that looks like a chrome bumber hitch and a stock that looks like a chinese pop sickle stick.

Back