• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front sight moving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toupiny

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Any of you guys had a problem of a moving front sight: mine is very sensitive to every little hit it might receive during transport. I am looking for a solution to fix it... Any suggestion?

Is it in a dove tai? If so refit with a steel shim under or on the shoulders and seal it up some blue loc-tite.It will stay put forever, not show up and can still be removed without buggering anything.
Pecking up the bottom of a dovetail with a punch is a pure Bumba job as you can actually upset metal into the bore if thin enough.
Also peening over the top of the dovetail into the sight is a son of Bubba job! I am not referring to the chisel cut method with the on purpose peen over tabs.

azmntman said:

JBweld sounds like a really bad idea because then you can not adjust it. :hmm:

I would peen it to get it from moving around easily, and then when you are at the range and have the windage on the front sight where you want it, take a carbide scribe and mark a small notch across the top of the base of the front sight and onto the barrel a little, this way you can tell when it has moved even a little bit, and maybe peen it a little harder for a snugger fit if necessary.

I use shim stock from Brownell's in various thickness but it can be forged out on an anvil or piece of railroad rail using a strip of mild steel.
In a pinch a piece of aluminum from a pop can will work.

Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
azmntman said:

JBweld sounds like a really bad idea because then you can not adjust it. :hmm:

I would peen it to get it from moving around easily, and then when you are at the range and have the windage on the front sight where you want it, take a carbide scribe and mark a small notch across the top of the base of the front sight and onto the barrel a little, this way you can tell when it has moved even a little bit, and maybe peen it a little harder for a snugger fit if necessary.

I adjust with the rear site myself. JBweld and can still file down if needed :)

Sights have to be fit.
There are several things you can do.
If the sight is fairly close, use a brass drift Link and a small hammer and tap down the edge of the ears of the barrel dove tail onto the sight. Firm but gentle like. This may be all it needs.

You can also use a small punch and punch 4 small divots on top of the sight close to the blade and the edge of the barrel ear. This locks the sight. Many originals are done this way.

You can remove the sight put it in a vise and flatten or expand the bottom of the sight base some by tapping. That works really well with brass and copper bases. You can try tapping divits with a punch in the bottom of the sight base to expand it some.
it's a lot of trial and fit....finesse work. You may need to dress the sight a little with a file after expanding it some.

If it's close the first step described should tighten it up.

Of course there is always epoxy,shims solder and getting or making a bigger sight. Any heavy work should only be done to the cheapest part....the sight.

I just replaced my front sight last week. The new sight I ordered would slide right through the dove tail cut out on my barrel.
I put it into a vise blade down and used a punch to widen the brass base of the sight. It doesn't take much force so use a smaller hammer and a light touch AND stay away from the edges so you don't deform it. I gave it 4 taps on each side of the blade, spaced out to 4 different spots so the base would spread out evenly. I would tap it then test the fit, and repeat until I had a snug fit I was happy with.
Its very simple to do you just have to take it a little at a time.

Diggerfly said:
I just replaced my front sight last week. The new sight I ordered would slide right through the dove tail cut out on my barrel.
I put it into a vise blade down and used a punch to widen the brass base of the sight. It doesn't take much force so use a smaller hammer and a light touch AND stay away from the edges so you don't deform it. I gave it 4 taps on each side of the blade, spaced out to 4 different spots so the base would spread out evenly. I would tap it then test the fit, and repeat until I had a snug fit I was happy with.
Its very simple to do you just have to take it a little at a time.
That's how I usually do it..... :thumbsup:

You might also consider removing the sight and flowing some solder onto its underside. Remove excess until you have a tight fit.
Good luck with your project.

I've tightened up front sights 2 different ways. First way is to melt some hi temp silver solder to the bottom of the base and file to fit. For this I use .005 thick sheet. Of course the sight has to be able to withstand the high heat.

Also have squeezed both ends of the base in a vise and then filed to fit as previously mentioned. This is done if the sight and dovetail don't have a large gap.

Never cared to peen the bbl or dimple the dovetail bottom....Fred

Couple of other ideas. You can make the sight base wider by removing it and peening it on an anvil. I had to do that on my last build when I overcut the front dovetail a little and it was a bit loose. That will make it a little thinner too. Brass and copper peens pretty easily when cold. Then clean up all the hammer marks as you would normally. Another method would be to put a dab of rubber cement in there. Let it dry first. That will just increase friction, and take up space. It's a bit Bubbaesque, but an easy solution, and easy to remove if you don't like it.

just remove sight- usually push "tap out" to the lock side. Turn over and use a real sharp "prick" punch and tap several divit's on the under side of the sight reinstall starting from the lock side.

I usually "mess" with the sight instead of the gun barrel less cost in the sight than the barrel.

But then again I have a machine shop and all my barrels and sights are "Machined in" never cut with a file.

Adam

Back