• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations for target sights for Parker-Hale Whitworth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello and I hope everyone is doing well.
I‘m about to finalise the purchase of a PH Whitworth. It only has the original sights.

I intend to learn how to shoot at longer ranges with it and eventually compete. So target sights are required. And since I don’t know much about them, the choices available and the variety of price points is confusing.

My first question off the top of my head is how to mount one on the tang? I know Pedersoli says to use their tang mount adapter. Does this apply to Parker Hale also? I suspect so since both manufacturers are copied from originals.

Thank you.

I‘m about to finalise the purchase of a PH Whitworth.
Do you have the .451 volunteer or the mechanical bullet?
Parker-Hale made two distinct models, the 'Volunteer', originally with Rigby, later Henry rifling - and the 'Whitworth' with its characteristic hexagonal bore. The latter can fire cylindrical or mechanically fitting bullets.

David

I‘m about to finalise the purchase of a PH Whitworth. It only has the original sights. I intend to learn how to shoot at longer ranges with it and eventually compete. So target sights are required. And since I don’t know much about them, the choices available and the variety of price points is confusing...
When I had a P-H Volunteer (same outward appearance as the Whitworth but different rifling) I just had the sight base screwed directly to the stock. As you, I've noted the Pedersoli sight base but don't know if it will fit the Parker-Hale. I'd seen several such bases made by individuals with the skills before the Pedersoli one appeared on the market - you may be able to make or have something similar made once you have selected the rearsight, and if you don't want to mount directly to the stock.

I can't help with specific recommendations, but some points to consider... original aperture sights contemporary with the Whitworth were almost invariably elevation only on the rearsight and windage adjustment on the foresight. Be wary of purchasing sights intended for breech-loaders, these, especially if including windage adjustment, may not adjust low enough to enable you to shoot at 100m/yds without fitting a new high foresight base.

I have some introductary articles on long range muzzle loading on my web site, which may assist.

David

When I had a P-H Volunteer (same outward appearance as the Whitworth but different rifling) I just had the sight base screwed directly to the stock. As you, I've noted the Pedersoli sight base but don't know if it will fit the Parker-Hale. I'd seen several such bases made by individuals with the skills before the Pedersoli one appeared on the market - you may be able to make or have something similar made once you have selected the rearsight, and if you don't want to mount directly to the stock.

I can't help with specific recommendations, but some points to consider... original aperture sights contemporary with the Whitworth were almost invariably elevation only on the rearsight and windage adjustment on the foresight. Be wary of purchasing sights intended for breech-loaders, these, especially if including windage adjustment, may not adjust low enough to enable you to shoot at 100m/yds without fitting a new high foresight base.

I have some introductary articles on long range muzzle loading on my web site, which may assist.

David
Thank you, David, for your advice. I have much to learn.
How does one tell if a tang sight is intended for breech loaders vs muzzleloaders ?

How does one tell if a tang sight is intended for breech loaders vs muzzleloaders ?
You’ll have to look at the makers information, but typically the breech loading sights will have windage adjustment mechanism in the base and will be used with rifles such as the Sharps or Remington Rolling Block. Advertising may refer to silhouette - a black powder cartridge rifle disciple. They can be mounted in the Whitworth, but may prevent use at short range. If you look at new foresights, get one with a spirit level - these can be used to eliminate cant (or at least keep it consistent).

The sight I had on my Volunteer is no longer available so I can‘t offer that as an example. Hopefully someone here will be to advise what they have used on a Whitworth or Volunteer rifles.

David

Widows Son
I believe I have the sight base your referring to. Mine came as a complete package with my Volunteer rifle from Pedersoli, this included the base, tang sight, longer tang screw and a fore sight with inserts. I have mounted it on my Whitworth from Navy Arms. The issue I found with it is it is as you can see rather bulky and the lowest setting I could on it was a 300yd setting when attached to the Volunteer rifle and 250yds on the Whitworth.
The longer screw has metric threads and is used as a replacement for the as issued tang screw, so you would need to know of your Whitworth thread cut.
I fabricated a new base for the Volunteer which did not require a longer tang bolt and allows the tang sight to sit slightly lower and used a tang sight that I could get a lower setting, at 200yds

Attachments

• 20210717_174417.jpg
    20210717_174417.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210717_174449.jpg
    20210717_174449.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210717_174504.jpg
    20210717_174504.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210717_174520.jpg
    20210717_174520.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 20210717_174744.jpg
    20210717_174744.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Thank you very much for all this advice! I have so much to learn mechanically and ballistically.

That tang base may not be the solution it appears to be. 100 meters/yards is a very common target distance to not be able to sight for.

David said he mounted it to the stock. Perhaps something like this inletting of the wooden stock is a better option although I’m not keen on carving out the wood
1626565095410.jpeg

Or, as you did, Kno-ie, make an even longer base that extends further down the stock wrist? That way 50-100 meters can be sighted through the eyecup.

As I said, I don’t know exactly what I’m doing and have much to learn. And I don’t even legally own it yet, as I said, I’m about to finalise the purchase.

Widows Son,
When I'm shooting out to 100 or 200yds I leave the tang sight off and set the as issue rear sight to 200 or 300yds respectively. 200yd setting is on for 100yds and the 300yd setting is on for 200yds. When I reach out to 300yds and further the tang sight goes back on. I never change the insert on the front sight.
The Pedersoli base when mounted will also damage the wood. Under the tang mount there is a second hole for a wood screw to be installed. When the tang screw is torque down it causes the base to dent the wood and when the tang mount machine screw are installed they also dent the wood because of their length.
I hope this helps and good luck.
Kno-ie

David said he mounted it to the stock. Perhaps something like this inletting of the wooden stock is a better option although I’m not keen on carving out the wood
I didn't need to inlet my sight base, but would have no problem doing so on a reproduction rifle - the rifle was used for target shooting shooting competition and won me many prizes. The picture you posted looks a good set up and the sight arrangement appears correct for the period. My (old) rifle and sights below - best quality pic I have to hand. The sight is the late Rex Holbrook's version of the short lived 19thC Goodwin rearsight. You'll see various versions of this sight around today, 'Goodwin' being applied to any sight with an off-set staff, some makers even slipping 'Creedmoor' into thier marketing despite the sight ceasing production nearly a decade before the famous range opened. As originally concieved it was an orthoptic device and used in conjunction with the barrel mounted rearsight and foresight. See Dr. Goodwin’s Orthoptic Screen Sight for more historical information.

goodwinsight-rp.jpg

David

I've been shooting left hand since '76 and have not found a tang sight that would cause me pause in shooting the firearm. Left/right the tang sight doesn't care.
Kno-ie
Been shooting left since 72 but never shot a tang sight - mostly Civil War original stuff.

I shoot pistols Rt. hand - but use left eye!

Back