• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen not going all the way foreward

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmvet

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was shooting my fusil de chasse today and noticed that the frizzen did not go all the way foreward on firing. Is this ok or should it go all the way foreward when fired. If this needs correcting, what is the correction procedure. thanks, pharvvet

Hey pharmvet , it should flip back all the way look at your flint postition I have mine just about touching the frizzen at at half cock another thing you can try is how you have your fkint in you jaws bevel up or down try it diff and see how it works for ya . What kinda lock do you have Siler ,L&R or Davis

Hey pharmvet , it should flip back all the way look at your flint postition I have mine just about touching the frizzen at at half cock another thing you can try is how you have your fkint in you jaws bevel up or down try it diff and see how it works for ya . What kinda lock do you have Siler ,L&R or Davis

I have seen such on several locks and it did not affect the result one iota, they sparked and ignited just as efficiently as those that kicked completely forward.

Your frizzen may be going all the way open, and then bouncing back. This is very possible if your frizzen spring is a bit weak. To check this, put some grease on the frizzen tail that stops the forward movement. Dry fire it, and see if it leaves any on the spring. If it does you need to correct this as when the frizzen bounces back it will often chip away at your flint and wear it out prematurely.

I have had this happen and found a couple of reasons, and I know there are many more, that can cause this problem. One is the flint position, too close or not close enough and length of flint. If your flint is to long or if it is to short and not positioned close enough to the frizzen. The other time is the where the metal rubs on the frizzen when it flips open and needs to be buffed up and oiled. The other might be a very stiff spring giving too much tension to the frizzen. I have shot ok with the frizzen not opening up but it should open up. These things are the main reasons that have caused problems for me, hope it helps. :front:

I was shooting my fusil de chasse today and noticed that the frizzen did not go all the way foreward on firing. Is this ok or should it go all the way foreward when fired. If this needs correcting, what is the correction procedure. thanks, pharvvet

Does it go all the way forwards when moved by hand?

If not, I would say your frizzen screw is too tight and/or there is fouling build-up on the screw itself...

There are 3 main reasons why this happens. A lock should not do this and a shooter should not have to get his flint "just so" to work in a lock.

The tit on the frizzen acts like a cam. That is, as it rotates over the spring, the tension should be very high to hold the pan closed and resist the flint as it first strikes, then it should get to a certain point and flip open and stay open. Friction, geometry, spring strength and balance of strengtht between mainspring and frizzen spring, and timing of the cam are most common problems.

Problem #1: friction
Friction on the pivot screw, friction between the tit and the spring can slow everything and create resistance. Polish and lube.

Problem #2: spring too weak or strong
A weak spring will allow the frizzen to flop open easily but won't be able to keep it from rebounding. The frizzen will flop back and bash the flint quicker than the eye can see. A too strong spring is out of balance with the mainspring and the cock cannot force the frizzen open. This is intertwined with geometry problems.

Problem #3: most common- bad cam timing
Take the lock in hand and release the cock slowly. Let it scrape down the frizzen as you hand pry the frizzen open. Keep the frizzen from doing anything by itself- you control it's opening and closing. Note the angle of the frizzen at exactly the position where the flint clears the bottom of the frizzen. Now take the cock to half cock. Ease up your grip on the fizzen. It it static or does it want to close or open? It is probably static. Now push it a smidgeon further open. Note the pressure needed. Note how far you need to push it to get it to the point where it wants to fly open. This is what timing is all about.

Do the same with the flint bevel the "other way" and note how this changes the angle of the frizzen when the flint clears the base of the frizzen.

The only way to fix "timing" is to change the angles of the cam on the tit of the frizzen that rides on the spring, OR move the apex of the hump on the spring if it's a late lock with such a hump. It takes practice and skill to actually improve timing through judicious stoning of the tit on the frizzen.

All these things are affected by the lock's basic geometry and "parity" of spring strength. They all interact. Some locks have very good geometry and so are less prone to having to be "exactly right" as far as that cam is concerned. Others have to be "spot on" in this area to be reliable. You don't want a lock that takes a lot of fiddling with flints of slightly different length, etc.

a shooter should not have to get his flint "just so" to work in a lock.

FYI...when I'm running a 40-50 shot range session and knapping occasionally, it's not all that uncommon to reach a point where the flint has become shortened enough to cause this problem of the frizzen not being tipped enough to snap open.

I usually do one of three things to remedy that:

Flip from bevel up to bevel down to improve the impact point;

Reposition the flint further forward to improve the imapct point;

Replace the flint altogether to regain the optimal impact point;

Back