• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fridays doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel collums

45 Cal.
Reaction score
DSCN2100_zpssover14g.jpg
[/URL][/img]

got this doe friday after work. 20 yard shot with my kentucky .50, .490 ball pushed by 70grs ffg goex. she went down soon as hit, the ball took out about 1/4 inch of the spine. i was hunting on some land a guy owns that i cut firewood for. he has this small field that had been planted in field corn that runs next to a small river. i set up a ground blind a couple weeks ago in the back cove next to the river. i had planed to hunt it this weekend but he said his kids were coming to rabbit hunt with beagles today so i hunted it friday afternoon. three deer had came out in the field and were feeding at the far end, one of them was a small buck that was running the does around. after an hour or so i heard one coming out right beside my blind on the side i didn't have a window just a tiny peep hole. she started feeding right beside the blind and slowly made her way out in the field to where i got my shot.

it got very cold friday night and i had her hung up. she was almost froze this morning when i took the photo.

this farm is about 480 acres and has a large creek on one side and a river on the other, each field has either grown up fence rows or wooded lots between them. the family that owns it doesn't live near but about 60 to 600 miles from it and only hunts it on certain times of the year. they got a cabin that cost about $300.000 its got a huge fireplace that can take a 4 foot stick of firewood. the cabin sits up on top of a hill that over looks the fields and the river bottom. its a place that a poor man like me could only dream of having. getting to hunt on this place is sorta like going to hunt one of these places you pay big bucks to hunt. i have seen some of the bucks on the trail cam pictures and they are some goodun's but most are taken around 3am in the morning. the rut is just starting here so its fixing to get right.

see if you can guess how the stocks crappy finish was done. i been playing with it trying one thing or another to see if i can find a finish i like. the forearm is just stained with some cheap walnut stain. trying to find something i like before doing much sanding and fitting.

she is a old tough doe. she didn't have any fawns this time, at least nothing had been nursing on her and her teeth are wore down a lot. i aged her at 6 by my tooth guide.

Old does don't have to be tough. On our Alabama lease a member killed a doe that the biologist aged at "11 1/2+ yr. old." We ate part of it for camp meat and it was not tough at all.

now thats a old doe, i can just hear her last dieing thought. "i dodged all them seasoned hunters for so long just to be snuck up on by a kid".

Sounds like a great place, even without the cabin or bucks. A healthy herd of does with a few small to average bucks, some turkeys, a few partridge up here or quail or pheasant down there, and a sustainable squirrel population on property like that are about all I need. Sometimes the place is as, or more, important to a great hunting/outdoor experience than the game. I for one would take that nice doe on that land over a huge buck in someone's yard in suburbia. And properties like that seem to be disappearing fast.

Back