• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French Grey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eddie, what I’m referring too as French Grey is the color that I get from Navel Jelly …

I’m not sure if that’s the correct name for it, but I like the finish / color when oiled, it seems too darken over time..

Almost Turtle Dove grey in color…

There is very little protection afforded the metal when it is grayed, so, yes, you do need to keep an eye on it over time. Keep it well oiled.

basicly you are removing the darkened color (blueing) for a more lighter color near to the white of steel. Very popular with gun engravers as it reveals fine engraving where it almost disappears on dark colors. Very attractive when used for highlighting and shading using different shades of color you can control. Bad news is that you are removing the rust preventing properties. Do not use on field guns...............Labrat

its been my experience that no matter which barrel finishing cold brown cold blue or cold blue rubbed back to the french grey color they all will flash rust if left in a moist environment like at tent or a gun sleeve check them all. wipe down with oil. run patch thru barrel the outside not really a big deal. it is this and handling the gun with dirty black powder hands, that after time gives that dirty nickel patina that i love on my guns

Phosphoric acid is what does the "French Gray" look and as stated it has somewhat of a rust inhibiting property but the good thing is if you get rust you can reapply the phosphoric acid and get the "French Gray" look back -- and keep it well oiled.

My gunsmith says to rub down the metal and stock with brown wax shoe polish. Use after each cleaning to keep surface rust free.

I stuck the breech end of a rusted up barrel in a bucket of Evaporust one time to try and get the rusted nipple out of a gun a friend didn't want. After about two days the nipple came right out but I was left with a half blued/half gray barrel. Didn't know the Evaporust didn't like bluing. I stuck the other end in the juice for another two days and had a grey barrel. Don't know what a French gray barrel looks like but this one was definitely gray. It took a browning solution good after that though

Back