• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler lock plate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, is something rubbing against it? Use your own judgment.

I polished a little on the outside, in front of the pan, where the feather spring rubbed and will eventually do the whole face, but the innards on mine were fine as shipped.

It looks like real case hardening to me, screws heat blued except for the clamp screw which was likely just tossed in with the other parts to anneal at 375⁰F or so.

I think I probably used more bone in my pack and dumped it faster, it came out with a lot more blues and purples. Color casing is witchcraft until you do it like ten thousand times and experiment with every kind of steel and iron in existence.

20230219_175713.jpg

OK, it doesn't look to me like real color case hardening*. What is it then? It looks really pretty cool.

*If it was faux color case hardening, it would come right off. Been there done that.
It’s real bone and wood charcoal color case hardening, I adjusted the process to get that look. It has a skin that is as hard as my head! Sometimes a part needs different colors and that is what more people are accustomed to.
IMG_1287 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Just finished 2 of those locks one with polish and one without. Polished lock was much better looking so I took the other off and polished it. Much more satisfied with the results. It isn't necessary lock functions fine it just looks better. IMO

Back