• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Permalyn or Tried & True oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After viewing the Kibler videos on stock finishing I was wondering about the difference in both stock color and protection in the finishes between Permalyn and Tried & True oil.
I would like to hear from those of you who have used these to finish your stocks. THX

I have used them both and like both. The Tried and True Oil Varnish is basically polymerized linseed oil - or so I have read. I find the Tried and True does maybe darken the stock more so than the Permalyn, which would be consistent with my experiences with boiled linseed oil. I have found the Permalyn dries faster and puts on an outer coat a little faster. Either one is a good choice, but if you go with the Tried and True, don't rush the process and follow the instructions.

After viewing the Kibler videos on stock finishing I was wondering about the difference in both stock color and protection in the finishes between Permalyn and Tried & True oil.
I would like to hear from those of you who have used these to finish your stocks. THX
I would advise tung oil

This seems like deja vou all over again. If you want to stay up late reading about stock finishing do a search on the subject.
Personally, I like a good coat of linseed oil followed a few weeks later by any good poly varnish. LIke I have said before, it's the method more than the product.
To the OP's point, I have used Permalyn and it's good but I haven't used Tried and True Oil.

A builders friend of mine will never use Permalyn again....ever.
It’s impossible to touch up.
Great finish but there’s no touching it up and repairing it.
It has to be stripped.

on maple i use ferric nitrite, then lye wash, 7-1 mix, then chambers oil. i have done 5 Kibler's like this and several others with chambers oil. it simply works, nothing tricky. when i apply chambers i mix turpentine 50/50 do 2 coats in 2 days. then 2 more days, Stright chambers 2 times, one coat a day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
40 cal 1.jpg
40 cal 10.jpg
40 cal 11.jpg
40 cal 5.jpg
40 cal 6.jpg
40 cal 7.jpg
40 cal 13.jpg
40 cal 2.jpg
40 cal 3.jpg
40 cal 4.jpg

on maple i use ferric nitrite, then lye wash, 7-1 mix, then chambers oil. i have done 5 Kibler's like this and several others with chambers oil. it simply works, nothing tricky. when i apply chambers i mix turpentine 50/50 do 2 coats in 2 days. then 2 more days, Stright chambers 2 times, one coat a day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,View attachment 274933View attachment 274934View attachment 274935View attachment 274941View attachment 274942View attachment 274943View attachment 274937View attachment 274938View attachment 274939View attachment 274940
beautiful

Back