• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French Gray

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received my Woodsrunner kit and I’m trying to plan out assembly and finish. I’m considering French Grey finish for barrel and lock. Will these various greying methods produce as durable finish as browning? Thanks, E..

I just received my Woodsrunner kit and I’m trying to plan out assembly and finish. I’m considering French Grey finish for barrel and lock. Will these various greying methods produce as durable finish as browning? Thanks, E..

In my personal experience, no. If a maker is willing I usually request browning be done.

Your mileage may vary though

My style of metal finish

Attachments

• 20220114_160058.jpg
    20220114_160058.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220110_115730.jpg
    20220110_115730.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210711_163034.jpg
    20210711_163034.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I use LMF browning solution, put on one coat a day and put it in a damp box with a crock pot filled with water in the bottom. I never card between coats. Sometimes after the first three coats I may let it hang in the damp box for up to a week. Then I sand all, most or some of the rust back off depending on the look I'm after. Then I'll scrub it down with a baking soda slurry or ammonia and rinse with hot water followed by a heavy coat of synthetic motor oil.

Latest posts

Back