• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fowler parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul v

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've begun collecting parts for an english fowler build. I will need to find a builder when the time comes. I'm considering a plain jane build with minimum carving and probably no inlays. Would it be better to purchse a blank or find a precarve to fit my barrel and lock choices (tapered round 36" 20ga barrel and chambers english fowler lock)?

I really depends on how much money you ultimately want to spend.

A few builders will assemble a kit for a little more than the cost of the kit (so minimally your cost will be kit price x2 - plus "extras").

If you want it built from a blank it will cost you "significantly" more. A very fancy pre-carve may run you 300 bucks (lets say). A fancy blank may run you 200 bucks or so and 3-500 dollars "labour" to get it to the stage of the pre-carve.

Many builders don't like to work from pre-carves but there are a couple if you look around.

There is also a couple of builders that kinda/sorta specialize in fowlers. Mike Brooks comes immediately to mind.

He will assemble Chambers kits, he also puts together his own kits which he will ship as a kit or "in the white" or "finished", with a full "menu" of add-on's and extra's.

You can have a look here (Brooks) which will give you an idea of some "typical" rates.

Buy the parts ALL from one place, or you may not find a builder to build it. Nobody wants to build a smorgasbord gun....

Keith L:isle

I would consult with the builder to define what you want and the leave it to him to acquire the correct parts.

Agree as well. Finding a pre-carved stock may be very chancy as these are done to specific barrel configurations. This all depends on what your barrel actually is, you didn't specify. By all means, talk to the builder you choose and get his take on what is needed, depending on the exact style you wish.

Mike Brooks tells me he no longer builds kits of any kind and doesn't sell guns in the white. He also says pricing on his web site is out of date.
He quoted me a base price of $1200 labor plus the cost of parts.

Thanks to the guys who have pm'd and replied to my question. This build was be a slow go, as time and funds permit. I was figuring on having all the parts by fall (like johnny cash...one piece at a time). After the new year, I'll reach out to those who have contacted me, and a few builders that I have in mind for their opinions on how to proceed.

Latest posts

Back