• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Generally, should I expect more fouling with ff than fff powder in a Kentucky flintlock? I have previously loaded Old Eynsford fff with minimal fouling 10-12 shots before wiping. Due to availability I’m now loading Goex ff it leaves a lot of fouling. After 3-4 shots I can barely push a ball down the tube until I wipe. Thx, E..

Burnt powder is not fouling unless its mixed with oil.
Then you have sludge

Been using but Goex fff for decades. We have zero sticky mess.
Concur with tighter patch. Get more of the yuck blown back out the pole

I had the same problem when I first got in to this hobby over 2 decades ago. Since then I have only used FFF in the barrel. I don’t even use FF anymore. In fact I still have the original can of GOEX FF that I bought in 1998!

Well, like the OP says, he's using FF due to availability - not by choice.

I presume you also are using regular GOEX rather than Olde E. FF. That would also probably account for increased fouling. I understand that Olde E doesn't foul as much.

I shoot 3f Swiss in everything including my 69cal smoothbore with no fouling problems. In my flintlock, I've had great results with 3f Swiss and any issues were directly related to the one and only flint I had at the time. Now that I have more, no issues, accuracy is good and fouling no problem. Since my flintlock is a PRB gun, I do wipe between shots with a damp patch followed by a dry one. Swiss fouling is light and doesn't need a bunch of scrubbing between shots.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've only used Olde E. in my BPCR unmentionables, so I wasn't sure if it was a fair comparison.

Not only is it 100% correct, both Old E and Swiss have very low variation in fps when checked by chronograph. Swiss is best but Old E isn't far behind. Standard powder grades like regular Goex and Schuetzen have larger variation. Velocity variation is a huge obstacle to accuracy and serious shooters will do whatever it takes to eliminate it. The casual shooter plinking at his range might not notice, but when you're looking for Xring v 10ring, it does matter. A lot.

Burnt powder is not fouling unless its mixed with oil.
Then you have sludge

Been using but Goex fff for decades. We have zero sticky mess.
Concur with tighter patch. Get more of the yuck blown back out the pole
I beg to differ.
I grew up in New Mexico, was in California while in the Navy, did Treking in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Never had trouble with fouling, go up to twenty shots which out a wipe.
Moved to the Ozarks and high humidity umph
Third or fourth shot things start getting tight.
I swab between shots, just a spit damp patch, but it keeps me shooting.
anything over about eighty percenthumidity turns burnt powder to mud.

Many say they don't find a difference.
I certainly find that I get more of a crusty fouling and difficulty reloading in my smoothbores when I use 2f as compared to 3f. It seems to be worse with shot loads though.
Not really hard, have to pound the load down, reloading difficulty mind you. Just not as smooth. I can feel and hear a crunchy crust along most of the bore.
Might be worse, or better, with a rifle.

Trying out a new rifle I shot 15 shots yesterday using 90gr. of 2F OE in a .60cal. The only fouling I felt was the crud ring where the ball seats, and it wasn't much. I use a wet but not dripping patch. The cleaned up with about 6 patches. 3F might be a little cleaner, but in the big bores I prefer the lighter recoil of the 2F. The outside of the lock and barrel took about as long. :)

P_20220219_142548.jpg

Humidity is the major factor in fouling build up. Most people believe FFF burns with less fouling than FF.My self I believe that since I use 10-15 percent less FFF than FF in my rifles the fact that I am burning less powder is the reason I am getting less fouling!

I use 3F in about every caliber and rarely use 2F. But there was a time when I had to take what was available and had to burn equal amounts of 2F & 3F. I couldn't tell any difference back then, but no longer burn enough 2F now to critically compare. Could be because I shoot tight loads that keep the bore (relatively) clean. As such I now couldn't stand by any statement of choice.

You can't compare Old Eynesford to Goex and say the difference in fouling is the grain size. I shoot Goex 2f in my .50 cal and Goex 3f in my .45 cal. My experience has been that I can not tell a difference in fouling between the 2. I recently tried out a can of Swiss 3f in my .45 and there is definitely a difference in fouling and performance compared to GOEX.

Back