• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't compare Old Eynesford to Goex and say the difference in fouling is the grain size.

Old E IS a Goex product and when I was using it, Old E in 3f was my go-to powder and definitely better than regular Goex in accuracy and fouling. Swiss is the best I've ever found and it's my competition powder.

Generally, should I expect more fouling with ff than fff powder in a Kentucky flintlock? I have previously loaded Old Eynsford fff with minimal fouling 10-12 shots before wiping. Due to availability I’m now loading Goex ff it leaves a lot of fouling. After 3-4 shots I can barely push a ball down the tube until I wipe. Thx, E..
GOEX has a reputation for fouling…and I would say that ffg does foul more than fffg. That being said, my little .32 was the worst for fouling, shooting fffg, fouled so bad I used to have to swab after every shot.

One day I started using BreakFree when cleaning my muzzleloaders. After cleaning, my last patch down the bore would be a patch heavily soaked with BreakFree. I also have a habit of swabbing my bores a couple days after shooting to make sure they are clean, I find it satisfying to run an oiled patch down the bore and pull it out nice and clean. So a couple days later I’d swab the bore again, and I was kind of shocked to pull out a lot of black gunk on the patch from a barrel that was (I thought) perfectly clean…BreakFree is a penetrating oil that does an amazing job at displacing fouling from the micro cracks and crevices in the bore.

So now I always use BreakFree when cleaning any of my guns. I always swab the bores of my guns a couple times using BreakFree between shooting sessions. I don’t get that black gunk anymore, and I’ve noticed that I don’t get the fouling problems that I used to get with GOEX.

My little .32 will go 10 or 12 shots before it gets so bad that I need to swab.

…and whenever I get a new muzzleloader, I swab the bore with BreakFree 2 or 3 times a week for a month before I take it to the range…gun seems to break in faster, and little to no fouling problems. Great on muskets and smoothbores by the way.

Last edited:
Back