• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Followup on wrinkled/frosty ball problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noahmercy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I got my Lee .535" roundball mold to work. Some of you may remember my post from a couple weeks ago detailing the problems I was having with it. (If you don't remember, it's the locked post down the page a little. :winking: ) I figured I'd post what I did in case anyone else is having a problem getting consistent results with theirs.

To begin with, I used four ought steel wool to clean the soot from the cavities. I had previously smoked them with a match to help the bullets drop free more easily.

I then brought a pot of distilled water to a boil and immersed the blocks in it for about five minutes, careful not to put the handles in as I didn't want any water getting trapped between the wood and metal.

After allowing the mold to drip-dry for ten minutes or so, I thoroughly wiped down all the metal with denatured alcohol, again being careful to avoid getting any in the wood/metal juntion.

I decided to forgo smoking the mold this time around. 'Figured I could soot it up later on if I needed to.

I set the mold on the edge of the pot before turning it on. This way, any moisture that might have been hiding would have a chance to evaporate long before the lead melted and it could pose a problem, as well as to bring the blocks up to temp prior to casting.

I brought the lead up to 775 degrees and poured relatively slowly. (I use a bottom-pour furnace, BTW.) I poured straight down the hole and continued pouring for a second or so after the cavity was full. This agitated/circulated the lead in the cavity, allowing any air to escape, as well as ensuring a generous puddle on top of the mold upon which the cavity could draw as the lead cooled and contracted.

The balls did not drop out as freely as when the mold was sooted, but a couple light smacks with my stick on the handle hinge let them pop out handily.

The result? After the first ten I threw back in the pot, 90% of the balls I cast were within one grain of each other. They are virtually blemishless and the diameter is consistent. I will shoot some in the next couple weeks and see how my home-grown match up against the store-boughts. Judging by the consistency, I think they'll do well.

I do so love it when a plan works out!

:thumbsup:

WOW that's a lot a work! I jsut clean mine with brake or electronics cleaner.

Play with the metal temp a little, might add some bar tin ,(50/50) or known soft lead and cast away!

I think the different alloy types screw up the balls more than anything else.

I would think that anything it takes to keep your balls from being wrinkled or frosty would be well worth the time....

tg - Are we suppose to believe you're still talking about cast lead round balls for muzzle loading? :winking:

(sorry, couldn't resist. :rotf: )

"tg - Are we suppose to believe you're still talking about cast lead round balls for muzzle loading?"

I re-read my post and I don't think I went off topic, talked about the (in-XXX) guns or made a personal attack on anyone?????

:v I don't want to sound pedantic---the frosty condition is due to the mould being at a low temperature and the lead solidifying too fast causing crystallization of the outer lead layers. That frosty appearance is the lead in a crystallized form. :hatsoff:

I guess we can add humour to in-XXs, politics and personal attacks to the list of no-no's here, it is becoming quite the hub of interesting exchange in a rather monotone maner (VBG)

tg said:
I guess we can add humour to in-XXs, politics and personal attacks to the list of no-no's here,...

Actually, you can add third-grade humor to the list if you guys can't keep from giggling when someone says the word "balls".

tg said:
...it is becoming quite the hub of interesting exchange in a rather monotone maner (VBG)

TG, this isn't aimed at you, but I will use your comment to make a point. I make no apologies for this being a family web site. Dirty jokes and sexual innuendoes have no place here and anyone that is uncomfortable with that knows where the door is. (VBG, right back at ya) :grin:

Claude Mathis said:
Just a reminder... The previous thread had posts deleted and the thread locked because the adults participating couldn't resist making "ball jokes".
---
Actually, you can add third-grade humor to the list if you guys can't keep from giggling when someone says the word "balls".
---
TG, this isn't aimed at you, but I will use your comment to make a point. I make no apologies for this being a family web site. Dirty jokes and sexual innuendoes have no place here and anyone that is uncomfortable with that knows where the door is. (VBG, right back at ya) :grin:

I certainly didn't mean to stir this up or to cause admin, the mods or the membership any grief by my post. Wasn't aware of the locked palaver, or that a simple innuendo was such a touchy subject here. A poor excuse, but its the only one I have.

Guess with the considerable amount of 3rd grade humor seen in many posts on MLF, including about other things we shouldn't be subjecting children to (like smoking and drinking for example), I just didn't realize that the board had a large population of kids below the consentual age of human relations running it (what is that now in the USA, 9-10?).

So I do sincerely apologize to all of you and it won't happen again.

No apology necessary and I don't mean to imply that this issue is a big problem, because it's minor (no pun intended)

The problem isn't the level of humor or a single comment. It's the snowball effect that we've seen in the past where people forget the original subject and then proceed to out do each other.

As for the children, I know there are several kids that read the Forum (two are my own). Even if only one child visited us, that's reason enough to behave accordingly.

I'm sure that for every web site out there, there are people who think they are either too loose or too restrictive. All I can do is maintain the level of decorum that I find comfortable.

Noah: So what I'm hearing is the dirty molds were causing both the frosting and wrinkleing of the lead orbs?

I guess I will try to give my molds a good cleaning because, I, like you have had the same problem with some (but not all) of my Lee molds.
In fact, one of their double cavity molds throws perfect orbs out of one cavity and wrinkled ones out of the other cavity.

How do, Zonie. Apparently there must have been a little bit of something embedded in or bonded to the aluminum that wouldn't come off with solvent the first time around. :confused: Whatever the case, it was the first problem I've ever experienced with a Lee mold (and I have 27 of those suckers, so I'm not exactly unfamiliar with their products... :grin: ). Regardless, the deep cleaning seemed to turn the trick. Also, running the temp up a little bit (I normally cast my pure lead bullets at 750 degrees) seemed to help and none of the bullets came out frosted, despite casting continuously and not cooling down the mold after every dozen throws like I usually do.

I shot some of my hand-casts from this mold today in a match with the Bullshooters Club here in Sheridan. The result was a 58 out of a possible 60! Good enough for me as I can't consistently shoot any better than this (the 20-40 mph winds notwithstanding).

Ahhhh...Stumpy, you are wise beyond your yea...well, you're pretty smart anyway. :rotf:

I use the super-long fireplace matches and let them burn back a little before sooting the cavities to avoid the very contamination of which you speak. That's not to say there aren't pockets of resin or something in the match itself which may have caused my problems. In the future I will either use a candle or oil lamp to do the deed.

Comes from smokin a pipe. If you use a Blue Tip to light her up you better give a good five count before suckin the flame in. :shocked2: There's something in them match heads what makes your tongue white and wrinkled, too. Blech!

I get sooty old white "Emergency Candles" at the dollar store. Five for a buck.

Noah Mercy
I must have misunderstood your problem, were you having the frosted appearence along with wrinkles?

Pasquenel
It has been my experience in 40 years of casting using both aluminum and steel moulds that frosting is caused by the mould or metal being too hot while wrinkles are caused by the mould or metal being too cold. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook explains this quite well. The problem is aggravated when using an aluminum mould to make a large projectile. The mould or metal starts out a little too cool but rapidly comes up to temperature and gets too hot causing the frosting. I experienced this casting heavy bullets for 45-70 and .45-110 Sharps as well as .54 and .58 cal mini bullets. It is true that the addition of a small amount of tin to the lead will reduce surface tension of the moulten lead and cast cleaner, filled out balls faster.
When I'm casting using the Lee moulds, once they are up to temperature I have greatly slow down my casting speed to prevent frosting. Although the Lyman book says the frosting has no affect on accuracy, bullets or balls just look better when they are smooth and shiney.
That's just my experience. YMMV

Regards, Dave

dvlmstr said:
It has been my experience in 40 years of casting using both aluminum and steel moulds that frosting is caused by the mould or metal being too hot while wrinkles are caused by the mould or metal being too cold.
I have the same experience with all my LEE aluminum molds and a Dixie hair straightener steel mold. When the mold is too cold the ball comes out wrinkled or incomplete. Casting a few more in it heats it up to temp. Low lead temp also produces the wrinkles until I turn up the pot heat level.
Too hot and the ball comes out frosted, then it's time to let the mold or the lead cool down some.
Okay, to be entirely truthful, the Dixie mold ALWAYS casts wrinkled balls...well, shall we say balls with wrinkly lines around them? Since the cherry used to make it was not exactly smooth. The guns don't seem to mind though.
Jack

Back