• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee 12 cavity 490 mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At a recent event I drew a Lee Precision 12 cavity .490 ball mold from the prize table. Yes, 12 cavity! This item is not listed on the Lee website, I have never seen another like it, and have no idea who donated it.

The design is like the Lee buckshot molds, in that the two blocks have two levels of cavities, one above the other. The stacked cavities touch tangentially, so the resulting casting must be cut apart into two balls. The hardware on top is the same as Lee six cavity molds.

I couldn't wait to try this out, so I degreased it, lubed the pivot and alignment pins and smoked it with a long reach lighter. Thumb got tired, that's a lot of surfaces to smoke. Fired up the big pot, pre-heated the mold, discarded the first few castings, and started to work.

Work it was, that much metal puts a real load on old arthritic hands and wrists. Coming from a data-intensive work background I weighed the resulting individual balls. The balls from the lower cavities were pretty consistent, similar to what I get from a Lee two cavity mold. Balls from the upper cavities were less consistent, good enough for practice, but I would not use them for competition nor hunting. I put this down to upper cavity balls essentially having two sprues, one on top and one on the bottom.

One real complication reared its head- this gang mold must be closed with careful attention to alignment of the blocks. Unless the inner sides of the blocks were kept clean a slight misalignment occurred, resulting in balls with the halves very slightly offset. Firing these deformed balls resulted in a pattern, not a group. Firing at 100 yards from the bench a few of the bad balls did not hit a 12 by 12 target.

My guess is this mold was a test product. I know I will not purchase a similar mold.

SAL

The largest mold I have is a Saeco 4 cavity .45. It has some weight even empty since it's not aluminum. That's about as much as I can handle and it still gets tiring. All my Lee molds are dbl cav. except for a very few singles.

I find I get better results with a single cavity mold than with a two cavity mold. I would not even attempt to pour with a twelve cavity mold unless it was for shot.

For historical reference I actually ordered one of these online a while back. I see various online stores have them listed as discontinued such as this midwayusa.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010217520
I've liked mine for faster casting, but hardly ever can cast a full set perfectly, but normally throws more than 6 so it made me feel like better value for fun time spent. Guess I need to weigh them though judging from the OPs experience.... So maybe not so good .

Latest posts

Back