• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabbit hunting and gear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once wrote an article for Muzzle Blasts about rabbit hunting with a flintlock. 'Twas some years ago. If anyone saves their issues, I will find it from my published manure and advise.

If you are going to be in the general area hunting for a while just hang the rabbits in a tree or tall bush so the fleas will jump off when the rabbit cools off and you will not get fleas on you and you will not have to carry them around just pickup on your way to the truck

There is a beagle club near me. I called them. It's just a bar now.

Do I need a pen running pen club deal?

You can train on Pheasant stocked lands.. there's rabbit. big place.

I guess I can run him there.

I have a message into the warden anyway to call me. Make sure I read this right.

They changed the birds dog training.. they used to only allow the training pistol. Now you can use Shotgun with blanks. I guess sometimes we win.

Funny... I grew up hunting and there was no one in school hunting or shooting..

Some kids I new. They turned 21 and got there permit for the first time. I was like cool..

They spent a couple months on a forum bought an AR and pistol. Acted like they new it all and all. There city it's.

They at that time didn't know I had guns my whole life. I never told anyone. So they thought I didn't know anything 😆

One thought 20ga was bigger than 12ga.. I agreed for fun. City it's.

He Trigger, a great gun for that little girl to start is the ole RedRyder. It’s very light and you can dry fire it without hurting it. It will be her first Practice Muzzleloader!

Game Warden..

it's not a firearm and that is a great idea.

As for letting the dog chase rabbit. Only during the season. It would be considered as hunting outside the season. That's what I thought.

I found a club though. I think

That the one we got her.. it's nice. She picked out the hard case too.

My son's is better. he went soft case. Crossman tyro..

He doesn't want to hunt. At all.. we're murders if you ask him. But he wants too shoot so.

Attachments

• 20240515_152428.jpg
    20240515_152428.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240515_153019.jpg
    20240515_153019.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Any tips on catching the beagle when your ready to go..

The old man I hunted with left them out there.. we went back hours after dinner and they were on the blanket.

going to stress me for a while until I get used to the routine

I'm thinking GPS tracker.
The dogs will wear down after a while. It’s easy to tell when they do. That’s usually about the time that I wore down as well. Usually not very difficult to catch them when they tire down. Carry a leash with you if you have any problems. A single dog is usually not difficult to catch.

However, learning how to rabbit hunt by yourself without dogs is awesome. If you have places to hunt that’s not miles of strictly fields, and if it snows where you live, you really don’t need rabbit dogs. Just walk around and kick likely places a rabbit would hide. Logs, brush piles, etc. indeed, you must be quick on the draw but that’s what makes it so fun. I actually learned how to hunt by doing that. Very fond memories, very rewarding times.

Last edited:
These clubs seem tricky. Maybe up class

I've been calling around. There 2 available spots.. membership.. 3 year probation. Have to go and meet them etc.. then maybe fill out applications and pay. then maybe.

I don't know.

The local Facebook group to one place. Never accepted me... there going to like my phone call. I'll ask why.

They might have trouble with the stupid people here. City its

I called a place that was fox hunt my mistake.. they went out of there way to tell me about how there's no fox. the dogs chase the sent they chase the dogs on horse 😒 🙄.. I was like OK... 👍 😒

The old Italians that had beagle always had people calling on cruility etc..

My neighbor built a house with heat and all.. they called right away.. they made him pull permits.

They tried to get his dogs taken away a couple times. He's not the only one that was anyone with hunt dogs.

Yea.. even a k9 cop. I worked at his house.. kinda a big deal at the time because they don't let anyone in there house..

Anyway yea his dog was outdoor kennel..

He asked to please stay away from the dog. People are stupid.

His dog barked and would cry even. but it really wants too bite people that would be why..

Last edited:
Don't need the dog. You see them. That's why I'm getting the dog.

It's a hunting buddy. I like dogs.
So hunt with your dog then. No one is trying to talk you out of it. I like dogs as well and have rabbit hunted many times with dogs and without dogs. As much as I like to rabbit hunt with (good rabbit dogs) I still prefer to rabbit hunt without dogs in certain locations. Other locations not so much. No hassle, no vet bills and I don't have to feed anything.

I still have my home dogs. :)

Last edited:
Friend's granddaddy had a locally famous beagle rabbit dog. Numerous offers but no sale no way. He wound up accidentally killing it himself when it ran a rabbit right across in front of him. Didn't lead it enough I guess...

. We kinda have some overlapping season..

I'm deer hunting muzzloader season.

You can't hunt rabbit during the 2 week. Shotgun..

archery season. There is a few guys hunting in the area. they going to learn I'm there after they do all there work setting a stand and all.

People aren't crazy here. Not like the birds hunters vs deer hunters in Michigan. Etc.

I don't know how I feel. It's public lands. It is what it is.

Anywhere I go there could be a bow hunter. I think I'll pick that place i pick for during the season and kick them out of there.

Go early. park in the good spot. finish my coffee waiting for the sun.

That spot I go. I made friends with the old lady.. she's half native American wildlife rehabilitation and all. She has cameras and signs.

she knows when you get a deer. She came out to say hi and all.

I brought her meat.

She told me a long story. she used to get a buck every year with her muzzloader but can't walk good no more. I was like maybe tall tail. she told me the spot and yup 😆 I was like she knew where they are.

I brought her meat. It was a big deal.

Already have plans to give her a couple rabbit.

I've always done good. Giving meat fish etc... I ate at someone's house every night of the week sometimes when I was young.

...I've always done good. Giving meat fish etc... I ate at someone's house every night of the week sometimes when I was young.

Same here.

But, my grandmother drew the line at snapping turtle. The last one she cleaned, deader'n heck and headless, kept drawing up it's leg when she tried to skin it. "Don't y'all never brang one of them nasty thangs to me agin' to cook fer ye".

My Uncle Wash ("Wash"ington), loved wild game. Even into his 80's I always made a point to drop off a squirrel or rabbit to him and Aunt Nora. They preferred to clean them themselves; ok by me lol.

My good friend's old grandfather also liked rabbits. He would bbq 'em for us on his patio gas grill; he had the knack - always very succulent. He preferred those big cane cutters "ain't much on a cottontail, y'all" LOL.

Seems like when those old people cooked that stuff it always tasted better and more savory.

My Aunt is the one that cleaned everything.. that's who I learned from.

I remember as a kid asking her why.. she said it's the women's job and the men don't do a good job at that.

Then she told me I better learn because I will never find a women like that.

Same with the cooking. I'd better learn.

Another solitary female takes up residence under my deck and inside the azalea:

IMG_20240522_072956867.jpg

Bunnies everywhere soon.

Then, the local coyote pack, the owls, and the hawks will show up, clean out the whole neighborhood and leave, and there'll be silence once more.

Then, come Spring, a solitary survivor will wander back in and find the 25+ year old burrow up under the deck, and it all starts over again.

Back