• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Wall Gun Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently won this British 1738 wall gun lock, and figured some of you might enjoy its absurd size:
2C985A33-1481-4357-8359-6269AC4729AF.jpeg

The length of the sear messes with the perspective when trying to lay it flat. It is roughly 9 inches long.
9A1FE3EB-2C8B-4A56-9BEC-5681EA317DDD.jpeg

Here it is compared to a converted dog lock, which is roughly 5 inches long:
B0B42B1E-FF38-42E9-B062-43C16B6050D8.jpeg

And here it is next to an Uberti dragoon:
5315AAF4-DEA6-4836-9153-5271FF047508.jpeg

Thanks for posting picture, that's some monster ....will have to research caliber (balls per pound) powder charge, etc. How many might have been lined up on a wall and at what range they were effective, etc. Interesting animal, any articles or books suggested. WZ

Thanks for posting picture, that's some monster ....will have to research caliber (balls per pound) powder charge, etc. How many might have been lined up on a wall and at what range they were effective, etc. Interesting animal, any articles or books suggested. WZ
This is a bit outside my normal area of interest. The lock was more or less a "bonus" from a bigger lot I had won. In the 1500s and 1600s, large wall guns were popular for providing more range and punch against sieging forces, because the besieger would build rings of trenches and fortifications around the besieged. I assume they served the same purpose in the 1700s. I think someone here has posted a replica or original of this model on a field carriage.

This is a bit outside my normal area of interest. The lock was more or less a "bonus" from a bigger lot I had won. In the 1500s and 1600s, large wall guns were popular for providing more range and punch against sieging forces, because the besieger would build rings of trenches and fortifications around the besieged. I assume they served the same purpose in the 1700s. I think someone here has posted a replica or original of this model on a field carriage.
Just checked "Search" on Wall guns to see If I could find the posting on the Field carriage mounted gun. Amazing how many posting are on the subject. First to catch my eye was "Solanco's" of April posting about building a "wall" base for his swivel gun. It'll take me awhile to go through all the related posting. Thanks, for helping me fall deeper into the rabbit hole.......already to many hours spent here.. LOL. WZ

Just checked "Search" on Wall guns to see If I could find the posting on the Field carriage mounted gun. Amazing how many posting are on the subject. First to catch my eye was "Solanco's" of April posting about building a "wall" base for his swivel gun. It'll take me awhile to go through all the related posting. Thanks, for helping me fall deeper into the rabbit hole.......already to many hours spent here.. LOL. WZ
Now you need to build a palisade or brick bastion to defend

I just need to convince my girlfriend that its necessary to defend our house from the French
Yes, tell her that is important. Just recently gave my original blunderbuss wall gun to our son. So we are good here. You can buy insurance in one of the N-E States as protection for attack from French and Indians. But not as must fun as a wall gun!

Doc Shaffer
Les compagnies du Détroit

Yes, tell her that is important. Just recently gave my original blunderbuss wall gun to our son. So we are good here. You can buy insurance in one of the N-E States as protection for attack from French and Indians. But not as must fun as a wall gun!

Doc Shaffer
Les compagnies du Détroit
What did you mount yours on? I need to ask my landlord their policy on bastions. My dog can be press ganged into trench digging.

What did you mount yours on? I need to ask my landlord their policy on bastions. My dog can be press ganged into trench digging.

A chevalet or three-legged horse that colipases when picked up. "A Treatise of Artillery by Guillaume LeBlond", 1746, reprinted by Museum Restoration Service, 1970, Page 61 "Of the Arquebuse a Croc" and Plate X, Fig. 2.

Poor dog.

Latest posts

Back