• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Portuguese Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ALL. Thought you all might like to see two new locks to add to my lock collection. These locks are quite rare, in this condition, even in Portugal. What makes the Portuguese locks unique is that at first glance, they seem to resemble the Spanish miquelet locks of the period. That's because more often than not, the styling of the lock plates, hammer, and frizzen/pan assemblies are styled after the Spanish miquelets. However, the mainspring is mounted inside the lock plate, and makes use of the vertical sear assembly found on the more traditional French style flintlocks. Sort of a hybrid of both lock styles. The frizzen spring, that looks like a squiggle is common on most Portuguese locks.

LARGE LOCK: This is one of the more traditional styles of Portuguese locks. The Spanish influence of the lock plate, hammer and frizzen assembly. The tumbler has only a full-cock notch. On the outside of the lock plate, in front of the hammer arm, is a dog-style safety catch, traditional to many of these locks. The size approximates a Chambers Colonial lock and would be good for a Fowler or Trade Gun.

SMALLER LOCK: This lock would roughly equal the size of a Siler rifle lock. Would be appropriate for a rifle/slim fowler/large horse pistol. Here, this lock features an early style hammer/frizzen design. But includes a second safety notch on the tumbler, thus negating the need for an external safety catch. Also, the lock plate shows a more traditional French approach.

Both locks are very high quality. They likely date to the Napoleonic period, but could be later as there was still a market for these into the early percussion period. Portuguese locks occasionally show up at European auctions. But usually in poor condition, pats missing, etc. So I feel fortunate being able to acquire these. Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics, and thanks for looking.

Rick
004 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
006 (Medium).JPG
007 (Medium).JPG
008 (Medium).JPG

Its interesting that these Portugees locks seem the basis of the turned out crudely made yet servicable trade gun locks of the' Lazareeno' sort , The upper example being very close in all but quality of finish I note that there is but the full cock bent this I guess stems from its normal user is likley to be in equatorial Brazil's steamy rain forests & the practical custom of carrying the gun loaded but quilled to seal the vent only cocking & priming when a game animal is spotted other wise if carried primed it would be both risky & bound to suck up moist attmosphere that soon soaks the primeing. . The Lower appears to lack it's tumbler' pin'/ retaining screw it might be called yet a bump on the cock suggests its also pinned through the tumbler shank . but it may be I am deceived in that assesment . Interesting locks choose what and thankyou for showing them .
Regards Rudyard

Wow, those are so cool!

Now I am most curious, they don’t seem to have a stop on the cock after the flint hits the frizzen, so is it the sear against tumbler that stops the forward movement? Wouldn’t that do a number on the sear?

At least that’s what it looks like on the top lock where you can see it, because there is no bridal/cage in the way, as there is on the bottom lock and tumbler.

Well it looks like the lower jaw of the cock hits the pan shield which after the flint had strook the steel must have limited strength, I have one of the really cheap & nasty yet servicable 'Lazzareeno' locks like the bridleless one Rick shows only Much rougher. I put Brazil but Mozambeek,Portugees Guinea & Portugees Timor might have been markets but Amazonian Brazil makes most likley market I was in Port ' Timor but saw no such guns But then they where there 400 years but didn t ever do much besides build a Fort & probably exported spices . Interesting stuff. I think they once held Ceylon but saw no such locks there mostly its only the' Burger' names that servive from the Dutch period Britan took it from the Dutch for sideing with the French (The Arabs once had it & called it Serrendib) Who came up with the rare LH ed Snaphances is anyone s guess but they had them
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Thanks ALL for your comments.

Hi Flint. Rudyard's correct. After the hammer/flint strike it's full length, virtually all the mainspring tension is gone. So the lower jaw just comes to a rest on the pan fence. Miquelet locks function the same way.

Here is a pic of the later (late 19th, early 20th Century) crude lock variations that Rudyard mentions. These locks were likely made in Belgium for trade with the natives in South Africa. They were made in the most economical way possible. But it appears that many (if not most) of these later made locks were never shipped to their intended location. Turner Kirkland bought the entire surplus lot from Belgium and sold them in his catalog starting sometime in the 1960's. He nick named them Lazarino locks.
And, as Rudyard mentions, the likely reason to use Portuguese locks as a template was due to the long Portuguese presence in the Region. The locals would recognize the pattern, at least stylistically.

Rick
DSC00739 (Medium).JPG
DSC00740 (Medium).JPG

I've always wondered how much torque a cock with that much weight on the top (like the top lock) and a strong main spring would have, and if it would affect the weapon. Especially when locks of this type were used on hand guns.

Hi Flint

That hook "shape" doesn't mean anything to me. In fact. that frizzen spring is just staked into the lock plate, versus pinned as the original locks above. Also, that flat piece just in front of the lower hammer arm is just part of the lock plate casting. It's just replicate the dog-lock function of the originals. But it doesn't move. Just aesthetics. And the lock is not even polished out. All just for economy sake. LOL

Rick

I still think Brazil is a more likley market though Mozambeek might get a share . While the locks are classafiabley ' NRA Disgusting 'in terms of quallity they work well ,mine does at least if I havn't mounted it in a gun .
The useless false ' dog' catch does nothing other , So that oddity rings true . Mine has stamped engraveing and big numbers stamped internally ( Must be the Delux offering ?) But they are what they are and are still interesting.The whole study of trade guns that ranged from pure 'Yuk' to bored out Whitworth's is a worthy study in its own right and would comprise of a huge market . Neat .
Regards Rudyard

I still think Brazil is a more likley market though Mozambeek might get a share . While the locks are classafiabley ' NRA Disgusting 'in terms of quallity they work well ,mine does at least if I havn't mounted it in a gun .
The useless false ' dog' catch does nothing other , So that oddity rings true . Mine has stamped engraveing and big numbers stamped internally ( Must be the Delux offering ?) But they are what they are and are still interesting.The whole study of trade guns that ranged from pure 'Yuk' to bored out Whitworth's is a worthy study in its own right and would comprise of a huge market . Neat .
Regards Rudyard
Hi Rudyard, Sorry I've been out of touch so long. "to bored out Whitworth's" The model for my Metford was a bored out .451" Gibbs No.6647 to12b and shortened to 30" which I thinck "REX" re-barreled to .451"??.. O.D.

Dear Toot , The cock is secured by a pin through the tumbler shank on these locks , Old Dog The Gibbs is still a shotgun with a rifled barrel with a option of either I do that regularly some having three options of caliber . saves making a new gun entire .
Regards Rudyard

how would you remove the hammer without a hammer screw?
Hi Toot

Runyard is correct. Cocks are held on the shaft with a pin. See below. Miquelet locks were also generally built this way.

Snaphaunce locks, and the earliest English/Dutch dog-style flintlocks were made with the hammer and shaft as one-piece,

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG

Hi Toot

Runyard is correct. Cocks are held on the shaft with a pin. See below. Miquelet locks were also generally built this way.

Snaphaunce locks, and the earliest English/Dutch dog-style flintlocks were made with the hammer and shaft as one-piece,

RickView attachment 134172
thank you for the great pictures to the question that I asked! an interesting way of fastening it. but it works! toot.

Back