• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock prices

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert bw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey yall,been thinkin bout a flinter.why are they so dosh garn expensive compared to a cap gun?Any one recommend an entry level gun that wont cost my first born?thanks SC

Dixie gun works southern mountain rifle is a decent piece as production rifles go.I have had mine since 1979 with no problems. If that is out of your price range try the Lyman flint GPR . Below that I guess there is traditions.

HEY swamp chicken go to gun auction or GunBroker and try to find a Flintlock in your price range and the reason why Flintlock so so much more is the components of the lock and if you do find one have fun with it and welcome to the flintlock bug

You think factory made guns are high, wait till you get the itch for a custom. You will be like :shocked2: :shocked2: :doh:

If you stay w/in factory guns, there's not much difference in price between caplocks and flintlocks. But if you get into semi-custom or custom flintlocks, the prices are determined by the maker, components, style and supply and demand. The only caplocks that approach the average flintlocks are well built Hawkens.

Most well known builders have extended delivery times, so lesser known builders get orders from impatient customers....this is sometimes a good thing but sometimes doesn't work out.

I just sold a spec built Bucks County flint LR for $5000 and I'm not a well known builder, but advertised it for 7 mos, not really caring if I sold it at all. All of a sudden 4 people were interested in buying it and the eventual buyer didn't quibble over the price. The reason for all the interest was that if was tax refund time. So...if a lower price is wanted, don't shop for a flintlock at that time of year.

Used flintlocks can be a "good buy" or not....a good presale inspection is a safeguard for buying a quality, used flintlock.

You didn't state the price range you're willing to spend, but the many options should satisfy your needs......Fred

HEY swamp chicken if you know someone is a good gunsmith and doesn't charge too much pick up a kit from track of the wolf and have some one put it together for you or go to tvm and get one from them

thanks for all yalls replys.i think im gonna keep saving my pennys for awhile so I have more time to look around.

It takes more put together a good flint "lock" than it does a cap lock. In other words you can have a cheap made cap lock that functions well but if the flint "lock" is not made well your gun probably won't fire good and consistent. I'm no expert on it here but I do know that much. There are probably quite a few novices out there that tried to start out with a cheap flintlock only to never return to the sport through frustration.

I would advise you to keep an open eye at the auction sites and the classifieds here for a DIXIE GUNWORKS TENNESSEE rifle,,,,,they were produced by the Mirouku ....mirouku turns ot quality stuff....they made parts for Browning machineguns....

Get some prices of "in the white" flintlocks. You do a little refining, sanding, and finishing, and you can have a relatively cheap rifle that shoots as good as a $5,000 custom. Just choose one with a quality lock and barrel. Or, look for a used one in your area that you can evaluate hands on.

Even a custom plain Jane unadorned poor boy will run around a grand and a half (my last one did). That's on the inexpensive side, too. The used custom adds often have very nice guns for sell at very good prices.

I would say, shoot for right about the middle & go for a Pedersoli Mortimer. Good bit of gear that may not be as good as some but is a lot better than the rest & at a fair price.
Being able to get one second hand would be even better.
O.

im kinda leaning towards a big bore smoothbore pistol suitable for hog hunting.i like the challenge of pistol hunting,getting as close as possible to me is a great feeling of success and I feel a closer connection to the game and I also think it encourages me personnaly to not take a shot that might be iffy.just me personally,i don't have much rifle experience but I have shot all(almost) manner of pistols since boyhood.(plus im kinda funds limited,seems like a pistol oughta be cheaper)maybe?

Then I would suggest a Walker or Dragoon Colt. These
puppies carry a huge wallop and have six shots all
better than a smooth bore of large caliber. On top
of that they are very affordable like in hundres
instead of thousands of dollars. I packed a Walker
When I hunted Bore in California.
Wulf

thanks for your response,i have a 1858 pieta buffalo 44 cal.i have already bagged a hog with it.kinda want to try a flinter for a couple reasons,caps can be hard to source round here,for one,and I like the idea of a piece of living history forging a link with my ancestors.

Factory flint pistols are pretty limited as to choices. Pedersoli makes a few different models.
I have a couple of Pedersoli flint pistols and they are OK. Their locks are NOT my favorites tho. They work. They are far from great.
A custom build pistol with a good lock will cost you twice what a factory flint rifle will.

For a cheap flint rifle I would recommend looking at the offerings from Lyman. The GPR and trade rifle. These are good shooters but, again, the lock leaves something to be desired...

A step up would be a Pedersoli Frontier or Cabelas Blue Ridge. They can be had in .45, .50, and .54 caliber. The .54 has a 1:66 twist for round ball shooting. I believe both the .45 and .50 have a 1:48 twist. Not a GREAT rifle but probably the best factory offering available for the money.
Cabelas runs a pretty good sale every so often.
I know very little about the Mortimer.

Otherwise watch the classifieds for a good used custom. Check out TVM for a real good semi-custom at a decent price. Or talk to Tip Curtis.

thank you JETHRO244,i can see im gonna be doing a lot of headscratching while savin up some scratch.i have a Dixie Gun Works catalog from 1994,man ,I shoulda been doing this long ago!Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

Swamp, I don't know what style rifle you are interested in but as far as production rifles go, the Lyman Great Planes Rifle is going to be hard to beat. If you are pretty handy with tools and making things, The Lyman GPR can be had in kit form for $433.84 @ Midsouth supply. It is offered in .50 and .54 calibers.

Back