• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock pistol-load size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnie_kennedy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought what was presented to me as a .69 caliber flintlock smoothbore. Although, when using a .672 and a .18 patch it is impossible to get down the barrel. I can get the ball bt itself down it with a little force. So my thinking is that it may not be a .69 cal afterall. Is there some similar calliber that it could be? Or a way to measure the bore with a special tool? Althogh it does not say japan on the side, i think it is one of those type reproductions or one from india. Also, i have been firing the .672 balls out of it with no patch or wadding and using 40 grains of powder. Any suggestions on how to find the best powder charge for the gun or a safe one atleast. 40 seems to work, but seems a little weak. Thanks!

You would have to measure the bore with dial calipers, or a similar measuring tool. The India guns come in a range of acual bore measurements, from maybe 65 cal. to 69 in your version. When I bought my Heavy Dragoon, I had a choice of preference from 58 cal. to 62. I would suggest trying 50 to 60 gr. of fffg powder once you get a ball size that fits better.

In the 1980 Dixie Gunworks Catalog on page 14 they show what they call a "BRASS MOUNTED FLINT TOWER PISTOL".

Says the ad:

"Modern made and very attractive. Sometimes called a pirate pistol. Rather nice quality. 9 1/2" steel barrel. No matter from whom you purchase these guns, they will not spark very good. No other company will advertise that they do not work good. Just because they will not s park good, do not fail to send us a nice check for $42.50 for one of these guns. Bore size is a true .670. Use a .650 mould. Shipping wt. 6 lbs. Have Fun! "

The pistol shown has a metal grip cap and has a LOT of wood at the forend under the barrel.

You might note that this is a .67 caliber pistol.

Elsewhere in the catalog they offer a kit for a Tower Pistol but they do not say what caliber it is. They do note that the bore sizes will vary from gun to gun.

In the back of the catalog under "STANDARD MUZZLE LOADING CHARGES" they show a load for a .67 "Tower Flint Pistol" as using a .650 diameter ball over a 35 FFFg powder load.

In the ad for the kit they do say they "proof fired" it using a double powder load and double balls.

They didn't say where either the finished or kit guns were made.

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, the original Tower Pistols were close range defensive weapons for shooting people and they were never intended to have Tiger killing power.

IMO, a .650 (or larger) diameter lead ball fired with a 35-40 grain powder load is more than enough to knock down an assailant if it hits him.

Thanks for the replies guys...and Wick i haven't forgotten about you. I anm sending you a private message.

I had a pair of them. One was .67 the other was .69. They shot their best targets with buckshot. I never put more than 35 grains of 3F in them once I figured out how to get the locks to work. Those bad boys will recoil badly with those short barrels with a heavier load.

Many Klatch

I fixed one up for a close friend. Frizzen was soft - dead soft. I soled it, lightened frizz. and main spring, installed a front sight (it had no sights as purchased) and tinkered with the trigger pull and polished the internals. Then we cast a bunch of .650 balls for it. It will never be a target rig but does go off every time now. I think we used 35 gr. FFFg.

I bought mine off of the internet from someone who said it was in good firing shape. Although it was in good shape cosmetically it was a disaster mechanically. I actually sent it off to a fellow forum memeber, Wick Ellerbe, who commented above. He hardened the frizzen, lightened the springs and did some more work internally to the lock. When i sent it to him, it did not spark at all. Now it sparks every time and makes such a wonderous BOOM! I thought about putting a site on the front, but wasn't sure how it would look. I saw a site on a gun on this forum that i thought was cool though, and kicked around the idea of putting one on my pistol. It looks like an old mans head with a beard. His nose is actually the site aiming point. I know it is not really a target gun, and historically probably shot buckshot or some form of it. But it is still a beautiful gun to me, and really fun to shoot. Last time i fired it, i put 40 grains 2f powder in the pan and muzzle. I plan on going to a range this weekend and purchasing some 3f goex to shoot out of it from now on, as the 2f had a good bit of delay to it. None the less, it fired and i had a blast! (pun intended!)

Back