• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock pistol kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Logan

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Not a big buck but it’s still a trophy. I hunt with flintlocks and carried my .50 flintlock pistol this year as a back up. Never planned on using it as a primary gun. It was loaded with 35 g of FFF black powder and a patched round ball. I took off yesterday (sick ) to hunt the big buck I saw Saturday. I knew the wind was going to be blowing right into the clear cut that he came from. I poured a whole bottle of code red estrus on 4 pads. I hung them under my tree with some doe tarsal glands from the freezer. About 10:30 a small buck came in on a string to the scent. He was under the tree and I decided to give the pistol a test. What would Crockett do moment? Any way I was about 25 feet up and he was directly under me. I picked a spot between the shoulder and spine. I saw the hole after firing right after. He ran about 35 yards and started falling. The balls entry in the back was a clean round hole, no exit. As I was skinning the deer a dang near perfect round ball hit the ground and rolled. Most of the time they are flat like buttons. It was a ton of fun. Maybe more powder next time.
6D09DE0F-1D1F-4A2C-B057-E6D80BE7AB58.jpeg

That's the twin (down to the broken point) of the deer I shot this season. Nice shooting!! I have a long-barreled flint pistol I have yet to hunt with, but I will!!!

ADK Bigfoot

Congratulations! I have a 13" swamped barreled Kentucky flintlock pistol in .54 (to match the caliber of my deer rifles) on the bench I hope to finish some day and then I'd like to try to do exactly what you did. That's like bowhunting! Cool.

Many years ago, Jerry Peterson of Woods Wise Calls in Tennessee had a number of his muzzleloader pistol hunts on his videos. He would just lay on the ground and let them come in and then shoot them from a prone position. Looked fun then and the thought of trying it has never left me.

For those that want to try this, just check your game laws first. Sometimes a 12" minimum barrel length (may vary) is a legal requirement.

Gawsh that's awesome. I've been taking my Lowell Haarer .54 bear pistol with me each hunt since ML started dreaming of just this sort of outcome and pic.....

There you go. You just undone the magnumitus and more is better mantra we are bombarded with near every day.
Congrats👍
I was just shocked at the darn near reusable round ball. I realize that.50 caliber balls with 60 g Fff don’t always exit. I just thought at the close range their would have been a drain hole. Think about how little blood I would have found with the single hole in the top of the back.

Not a big buck but it’s still a trophy. I hunt with flintlocks and carried my .50 flintlock pistol this year as a back up. Never planned on using it as a primary gun. It was loaded with 35 g of FFF black powder and a patched round ball. I took off yesterday (sick ) to hunt the big buck I saw Saturday. I knew the wind was going to be blowing right into the clear cut that he came from. I poured a whole bottle of code red estrus on 4 pads. I hung them under my tree with some doe tarsal glands from the freezer. About 10:30 a small buck came in on a string to the scent. He was under the tree and I decided to give the pistol a test. What would Crockett do moment? Any way I was about 25 feet up and he was directly under me. I picked a spot between the shoulder and spine. I saw the hole after firing right after. He ran about 35 yards and started falling. The balls entry in the back was a clean round hole, no exit. As I was skinning the deer a dang near perfect round ball hit the ground and rolled. Most of the time they are flat like buttons. It was a ton of fun. Maybe more powder next time.View attachment 50861
good no tongue. for the kiddies to see. KUDDOS to you, a beauty. never seen it done before with a pistol or even thought of such a thing? let us know how the ROE BUCK tastes? BTW, the pistol is a beauty also!! who made it?

Wow man, what a great hunt! I assembled a .54 Pendersoli pistol kit as part of my “COVID lock down” therapy and was planning on carrying it this year during late season muzzleloader season for the same reason, secretly hoping that a deer would present a super close shot like that. Congrats man. Most of us will never get such an opportunity!

good no tongue. for the kiddies to see. KUDDOS to you, a beauty. never seen it done before with a pistol or even thought of such a thing? let us know how the ROE BUCK tastes? BTW, the pistol is a beauty also!! who made it?
What’s a Roe Buck?

Back