• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock fowler availability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldnamvet

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Am I missing something or do the manufacturers of entry level flintlocks limit themselves to rifles? For those with limited means, flintlocks from Lyman or Cabelas line of blackpowder guns is a starting point. But if you want a smoothbore flintlock, you seem to be out of luck. Building one from parts is an option to lower the cost but some people are fairly inept using tools and need a finished product.

Are you referring to an "over the counter" type of fowler??

If so, I'm not aware of any. Like most manufacturers, it's a question of demand. The average guy just starting out, doesn't even know what a fowler is. Hense the lack of availability.

Next questions is.... what do you consider entry level?? Price range??

There are a lot of builders on this board, (including myself) that will build a plain fowler. However, you're looking at about $600 to $800 just for parts. Depending on what you want.

Most builders will also object to selling a gun for $500 when the parts cost $800.

Don't mean to be ugly. But, like everything else...... you DO get what you pay for.

there's the option of buying a fowler from one of the India importers. Middlesex village, Loyalist arms, etc. They seem to be around the $500 range.
CVA used to make a single barrel shotgun that was available in flint or percussion, it was a pretty nice piece for what it was.

There's always the option of getting a smoothbore barrel for your Lyman or T/C. That's a good, low cost method to get into them, and you have the best of both worlds in a single gun that way too.

Yup, I was referring to an "over the counter" type fowler. If Lyman sold one for the same price as their flintlock rifle I would consider that as the lowest entry level. Whatever I end up with, it will be of good known quality - preferably US made. May cost more but that is just the way I am. I will just have to take another 8 to 10 months of part time work and saving to be able to afford it.
As to builders selling for less than the parts - I would never expect someone to do that. I sure wouldn't. Everyone has a right to fair compensation for their work. I know for some builders, if you figured their profit based on hours put in, they are working for some pretty low wages. They just must love what they are doing. Gotta respect craftsmanship like that. :bow:

The difficulties in producing an "over the counter" long fowler are many. A true fowler is a magnificent thing--almost alive. It is light and superbly balanced and comes to shoulder like it was born there. They are the very definition of elegance. These qualities are pretty much impossible to attain in a machine made production gun--and explain why a custom fowler is worth every penny its maker asks for it.
Adding a smooth bore barrel to a rifle will give you a smoothbore barrel on a rifle stock. It will not give you a fowler. The balance is all wrong and a rifle style butt plate isn't much fun to mount in a hurry when wing shooting. If one is going to switch barrels, it is better to have a rifled barrel to put on a nice fowler than the other way 'round.
It is true that there are "fowlers" available that are made in India. They are also long. They are not light and well balanced and they are as heavy as sin. To describe these guns as elegant is a stunning misapplication of the English language. They are what they are--but they are fowlers in only the loosest sense of the word.
A true long fowler is well worth saving up for or selling something you don't have much use for. It is possible to save some money by buying a fowler in the white from a good maker and finishing it yourself. However you go about it, a fine fowler will be worth the wait.

Latest posts

Back