• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time out with .32 caliber.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Im hooked. I finished this rifle over the winter, just didn't have time to get it to the range. Used 20 grains of 3fg(the smallest charge my measure will throw), 311 ball. Target is a one inch dot at 25 yards. This is actually a 4 shot group. The center hole is actually two holes. I need to file the front sight a little more but Im happy with things.
0405211319.jpg

Excellent that you've now experienced the joy of the .32. You will decimate the squirrel population now. Cheap to feed, perfect for small game, accurate and fun to shoot, what could be any better?

That's impressive shooting, for sure! I'm still debating on a .32, .36, .40 for squirrel and/or rabbit. I'm not much of a small game hunter, but if I had a fun flintlock in small caliber, that'd be enough to bring me out into the woods.

Echo Eterry above.. let's see a pic of the rifle!

You are going to love it in the field. I had a 32 made after putting it off for a long time. It is hell on a squirrel's head!

Darren

That's not too bad, but I bet the gun is capable of better than that if you go through Dutch's system for finding it. I would encourage you not to do TOO much filing just yet. Maybe enough to raise it 1/3-1/2 the way there, and hitting a little more to the left. The reason is that I'm certain you will find a "most accurate load" probably in the 35-45 grain range.

If you plan on staying with the mouse gun loads for most of your shooting then fine on filing. But as I said, hold off on doing too much of it just yet

Nice group, let's see a pic of the rifle.
1010201843.jpg
Heres a picture if the rifle. Not the best photo but its all Ive taken of it so far.

I built it from. Pecatonica river A. Verner style stock, chambers Siler lock, straight Rice barrel 1/48 twist. Homemade sideplate, toeplate, and diamonds where the bolt holddown pins are. B/C Plum brown, BC Walnut stain, and several coats of linseed oil, followed by a top coat of BC True oil.

Heres a picture if the rifle. Not the best photo but its all Ive taken of it so far.

I built it from. Pecatonica river A. Verner style stock, chambers Siler lock, straight Rice barrel 1/48 twist. Homemade sideplate, toeplate, and diamonds where the bolt holddown pins are. B/C Plum brown, BC Walnut stain, and several coats of linseed oil, followed by a top coat of BC True oil.
That is gorgeous!

That's not too bad, but I bet the gun is capable of better than that if you go through Dutch's system for finding it. I would encourage you not to do TOO much filing just yet. Maybe enough to raise it 1/3-1/2 the way there, and hitting a little more to the left. The reason is that I'm certain you will find a "most accurate load" probably in the 35-45 grain range.

If you plan on staying with the mouse gun loads for most of your shooting then fine on filing. But as I said, hold off on doing too much of it just yet
This is great advice, hold off with the File for now, I bet you can get even smaller groups with a bit higher charge. I found 35g fffg to be the ticket, also try .315 balls...you will likely be able to shoot some cloverleaf groups with the right
combo. I have found 1-48" barrels to prefer around 35g powder, and the 1-30" tc cherokee to do well with a lighter 15-20g load due to the faster twist. Nice rifle!

Was your gun a complete built or one from a kit?
I built the gun from parts I bought piecemeal, and from some leftover parts I had from a couple other builds. I had Pecatonoca river do the nartel channel and ramrod hole, but thats it. I inletted the lock, sideplate, toeplate, butt plate trigger guard etc myself as well.

Back