• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymarsh

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, in the morning I am taking my Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock to the range and going to try and shoot it. Probably will be a real firedrill trying to shoot a flintlock for the first time! :surrender: If I don't survive you all can cast lots for the flintlock!

Pguy
Kentuckyflintlock-1.jpg

Have someone take a picture of your grin, first time you touch her off... :grin:

Your about to mess up. When you fire that first rock lock you can never go back. :thumbsup:

RR11 you sure not kidding there
shot my first 5 years ago and never looked back

If I don't survive you all can cast lots for the flintlock!
....... ya, when we peel your cold dead hands of it........ :rotf:
Have fun! It's addictive!

ohio ramrod said:
Welcome to the best forum on the web. But be warned FLINTLOCKS ARE ADDICTIVE!

Ramrod,
You make the worst pusher I have ever met, you know that? You're not supposed to tell em that rocklocks are addictive til AFTER they're hooked. Then you just either act like you didn't know, or at the very least forgot to mention it. Geez. :hatsoff:

well???? Did you like shooting your first flintlock?

Or what? :thumbsup:

Well, shot my flintlock for the first time today. Had a great time! Made lots of smoke and big booms and although the .50 cal lead balls were flying down range for some reason they weren't punching any holes in my target! :idunno: I did put 3 holes in the paper down at the bottom so I assume I am shooting low. Got a lot of practice to do in my immediate future! I was very pleased with the short lock time of the rifle. There was practically no delay of the flint striking the frizzen and the rifle going off. I was shooting 2f in the barrel and 3f for priming. I was kind of surprised at the amount of recoil. Got a sore shoulder this afternoon! :surrender: The heat down here today was terrible and the sweat kept running down into my eyes. The heat was getting to me and I finally called it a day. Really looking forward to next week and maybe I can post a target with holes in it! :haha:

Pguy

I was shooting at 50 yards off of sandbags. I was using Hornady .50 cal .490 swagged balls on top of 70 grains of 2f.

Pguy

I did put 3 holes in the paper down at the bottom so I assume I am shooting low.

Pguy,

You can find a lot of information on sighting in a new rifle by doing a forum search. One thing that is often recommended is to start at 25yds from the bench to really find out where your groups are printing. You noted that you were hitting low, which most likely means you will need to file down the front sight blade in order to raise the point of impact. After you confirm at 25yds that you are hitting low, move to 50yds and work to bring up the shots to the bulls-eye by filing down the front sight blade.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that except its going to be hard to put a target up at 25 yards. I don't have a target frame and usually use the ones that are permanently mounted at 50 and 100 yards. I may back off on the powder a tad. Might try 60 grains next time.

Pguy

I am sighting in my .50 GPR at 50 yards. :stir: You might try moving your point of aim so that the groups are hitting the middle of the target. Mine started out low as well (I am cheating a little with an adjustable elevation rear sight). I will probably file the front sight at some point, as the rear sight is flimsy and is extended to where it will catch on something.

Hey PGUY, glad to see that you're are enjoying your flintlock rifle. I had one like yours years ago and found it to be accurate and reliable.

As said earlier try it at 25 yards. If you don't have a frame to set up with I have used a simple carddboard box to staple targets to so you can set up anywhere at any yardage. You may find that you are hitting low, below the target. File the front sight gradually until the POI comes up into the bull'seye.

Have fun with it, be safe.

Really appreciate all the response and suggestions to the 73 year old rookie flinter!

Pguy

For easily placed targets, I like to use the political signs that seem to pop up on the roadsides and in folk's front yards. Easy to move and easy to use. Either tape or staple your target to them....or just shoot at the name!!!! That's too good for most of 'em, anyway. :wink:
Good luck and good shooting.
Ed

Back