• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First project suggestions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweston

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been forced out of lurking by the board telling me that they will de-activate my account if I don't post. So here.

I am interested in a first build project. I have limited skills, so I need to have the wood pre-inletted. Having lurked, I know that Pecatonica has the best wood and Chambers has the best locks, but I haven't been able to find a "kit" with those two in common.

As for what I wish to make? I want early; a Tulle, Jaeger, or as late as a Edward Marshall/Christians Spring.

Your thoughts, suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Lower your expectations a little and get the cheapest pistol kit you can find. Follow the assembly instructions to the letter. You will learn more by doing than you ever could by lurking.

Why a cheap kit? So you don't have to "work up your nerve" to tackle that piece of expensive wood. (There are ALWAYS minor areas left unfinished on even the best precut stocks.)

Why a pistol? The investment in assembly time should be minimal.

Following the directions gives you a feel for how the pieces go together.

Once you have actually completed a working firearm, you will be better prepared to tackle something like a Tulle, or Jaeger.

Welcome to the forum!

In my humble opinion, If you do build a long gun, a NW trade gun (smoothie) or a trade rifle, or a TN southern MT rifle is a good choice for a first timer. :) Plainer & more simple. :winking:Those with less than perfect craftmanship would be more correct than copying a master builder. ::

Good advice on the pistol kit.I amnot a builder by any means. But I have put a few together. My first attempt was a TC Hawkin kit. It must have turned out alright 'cause I then had to put 2 together for friends.
I built a 50 Leman rifle for my oldest son's High School graduation gift. It was from TVA and was a pretty good kit for a first gun.
My 2nd son graduated last year and his pick was a Vincent Ohio half stock in 50 cal. It was a little more work and I got it from TOW.
I finally got my rifle built this summer, a Southern 40 cal,flint with brass trim. It also came from Track.
I built a 54 cal Kentucky flint pistol this fall and I went with a stock blank and did all the other work myself. It was a Track purchase also.
I'm not a expert by any means so this is from someone still at the low end of a big learning curve. Start with a kit type from any of these and have a good time. But I must warn you, once you get one finished you start planning for the next one. My wife thinks I should seek counseling.
RL

I too am new to building kit guns. being a bit older, and possibly a wee bit wiser, i chose the pedersoli kentucky flint pistol kit from dixie guns works. I figure i can learn alot (and mess up alot for less money) with this kit. this forum will answer any questions, no matter how dumb. i figure i cant lose!

:m2c:

"My wife thinks I should seek counseling...."
WV-Rocklock: You just tell her you've already found some great counselers.
We can counsel you right into some of the greatest projects there are!!

Johnny Reb: IMO you got a good one to start on.
It makes a nice looking, fun gun to own and shoot.

Blacksberg: Glad you posted.
You might try contacting Jim Chambers to find out what they are offering in kits for your selected gun.
I'm not sure if he builds locks for the style of guns you mentioned. IMO, The lock he is really famous for is his "Large Siler" and that lock isn't exactly right for a Jeager, Tulle or Transitional. (It's a bit too small).

I suggest a Jaeger or Edward Marshal kit from Jim Chambers with the chambers Germanic lock. It is correct for the rifle & a very good lock. His wood is just as good or better than Pecatonica and possibly you can get some of the precision work done before hand if you prefer. I would call Jim and ask him all the details & ask him for a price.
There are a few crucial parts in building it such as drilling the lock bolts, vent liners, barrel/lock alignment & fit, & etc. Possibly you can have someone help you in those areas when you get to those parts of the building.
Another option would be to have Tip Curtis build you one in the white. He builds about 20 (?) rifles a year this way & is quite reasonable from what I have seen. I don't know if he does Jaegers or not but it is worth a call. (615-654-4445. One exception to note is that his Jaeger would have a Davis Jaeger lock in it & it is not as good as the Chambers Germanic lock, but I have had much better luck with it than the L&R Jaeger lock.

If you buy a Jaeger parts kit from Tip it is pretty slimmed down & not too much wood to remove. Others I have seen are barely more than a blank, so I would want to see a photo of the stock before I bought it to know how much work I have involved. I know the Tiger Hunt Jaeger stock is a inlet barrel & really rough shaped butt, you have to do all of the inletting after the barrel inlet & this very well could be way be too much to start out on.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

My first project was Jim Chambers' Marshall kit. It worked out well, but there were some nail-biting moments! Like drilling a big hole in that expensive Getz barrel. Get a drill press. The advice to start with an inexpensive kit, particularly a pistol, is good. But whatever you get,take your time, get a good book and/or tape, and minimize the power tools.

Thanks for the comments all. I am not particularly daunted by the prospects of the build. I am an engineer, patient, have a machine shop to rely on, also the Gunsmith of Grenville. After reading through it -- from plank to inletted stock, I am not too worried.

Back