• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Style Pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm brand new to leatherwork, this is my first project. I have always liked the Lyman belt pouch and my flint smoothbore fowler is from that era so it seemed like a nice choice. This pouch has the same 5" x 7" dimensions and the internal divider/welt, however, it differs in that it is plain untooled leather, has a largeer button for closure, and the belt straps are sewn on in a more modern style than the original. Lyman's may have been made by a skilled cobbler, my take is one made by one of his soldiers who admired his and homespun a copy of his own.

lyman.jpg
lyman1.jpg
lyman2.jpg

Well done.
Have you used it yet?

Just constructive observation comment here....
I can see only 2 potential issues, the 1st is hard to avoid on a bag and straps this small.... You really don't want to stitch across a strap. This creates a potential stress point for the stitching to rip. Two or three short lines of stitch parallel to the long edge of the strap is plenty.
The other is why I am curious if you have used it yet, and is purely speculative. With the straps that long, I am wonder if the bag will flop and slap against your leg/s or otherwise interfere with maneuvering through the woods.

I look forward to your report on getting out and using it.

Well done.
Have you used it yet?

Just constructive observation comment here....
I can see only 2 potential issues, the 1st is hard to avoid on a bag and straps this small.... You really don't want to stitch across a strap. This creates a potential stress point for the stitching to rip. Two or three short lines of stitch parallel to the long edge of the strap is plenty.
The other is why I am curious if you have used it yet, and is purely speculative. With the straps that long, I am wonder if the bag will flop and slap against your leg/s or otherwise interfere with maneuvering through the woods.

I look forward to your report on getting out and using it.
Thank you for the suggestions, you are right about the straps potential to fail the way I sewed them. The loops look bigger than they are, the pouch rides pretty tight to my body, however if they fail I'll reattach them as they were on the original -- without the built in loop. I don't know how Lyman carried his powder, I like a flask, which I keep in my coat pocket so those little pouch with just patches and balls is great. If I shoot in hot weather I may have to go to a horn on a separate strap.

Smart to start with something small. My 1st leather project was a war shirt. Like to die before I got it done. It is gone down the road now. Enjoy your new hobby

Back