• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First outing with Lyman GPR: I'm hooked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got my new Lyman .54 GPR out for a first few blasts. I didn't have the place, time, or equipment to do a proper sight-in, but I nailed a 2 gallon jug at a fair distance offhand, so can't complain too much!

The only lesson I learned after a two flashes in the pan is that I need a better touch hole pick. The flimsy pipe cleaners I had with me weren't working too well.

Needless to say, I'm hooked.

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.10.03 PM.png

Congrats , you may need too enlarge to touch hole...
GPR’s are known for that.
The one I owned was the same way, after enlarging the hole... problem solved...

Out of the box, them seem to shoot low as well...

Welcome too the Dark Side.... enjoy the ride!

Awesome photo.
So what next?
Smootbore or rifle?😀
Haha well next on the list is an unmentionable in this forum, but after that, not sure. A dream gun is a longrifle, maybe a squirrel gun.

Is this the new Signature Series , by Pedersoli ?
No, this is the regular Lyman. Got it for a good price at Track.

Congrats , you may need too enlarge to touch hole...
GPR’s are known for that.
The one I owned was the same way, after enlarging the hole... problem solved...

Out of the box, them seem to shoot low as well...

Welcome too the Dark Side.... enjoy the ride!
Thanks! I'll consider that.

I agree.
Enlarge the touch hole using a 1/16" drill bit and an electric drill.

The drill bit will want to pull itself into the hole so use almost no pressure on it. You only have to drill maybe 1/8 of an inch deep to do the job and once it is done, most, if not all of your flash in the pan problems will disappear.

A large paper clip can work very nicely as a vent pick, so give it a try.

Happy shooting. :) :thumb:

Dont sight in until you work out a load.
Once you have your load and decide your sighting distance you alter the sights to suit.
Probablystart at 25 then 50 etcetera.
Just take it slow removing metal.
I like the halves principle.
Take off half the metal you thibk you should.

I have a Lyman percussion 54 and a flintlock Lyman signature series 54. Both shoot great groups with 80 gr of 2F Goex and .018 pillow ticking. Good luck and have fun!
Good to know! I started out with 60 gr of 2F Goex and .015 patches since we were just plinking at bottles. I'll definitely relish the process of finding a ball/patch/load combo. I'll only be in a hurry if stuff hits the fan (knock on wood) and I have to retreat to the mountains and hunt for my sustenance.

Great form on your shot!
Here are a few still pics I stole from your video...
Just too show the importance of follow through.

At full cock prior to trigger squeeze
82614FCA-B6E3-4CC4-975C-F27F31CFFA14.jpeg

Pan starts to ignite @ 2-3 seconds
50ABE0CD-065A-4283-A761-0C5D84A5FAA0.png

Fire in the hole @ approx. 3 seconds

5C6F59F6-917B-42A8-B709-7A2B79350CD9.jpeg

Impact at target @ approx. 4 seconds

1F67678C-B795-46FC-A422-EEC599DF5489.jpeg
My GPR liked 100 grns of ffg with an .018 patch and .530 round ball.

When you start to file the front sight go s-l-o-w-l-y, Taking a little to much off at 25 will make quiet the difference at 50 yards

Last edited:
Our 4H kids all shoot GPR percussion with 55-60 gr of 3F under a .535 ball and pillow ticking. Some of them really shoot the lights out, offhand at 50 yds!

Latest posts

Back