• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Shots!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I successfully, kinda, fired my first shots ever from a flintlock!

I loaded up 80 grains of Triple Seven and a patched round ball. The first shot we went off without a hitch.

The second shot was a lot of work. I couldn’t get it to fire to save my life. I tried several times without success. I figured that the touch hole liner had become plugged up. Of course I didn’t have a pick with me. Rookie mistake. I finally straightened out a fishing hook to pick the touch hole. Still no luck. I remembered putting powder under the nipple on a percussion rifle many times. So I took the pan primer and placed some black powder in the opening of the touch hole liner and primed the pan. I settled in on the target, set the trigger, and……,flash…., kaboom!

I have a LOT to learn about flintlocks but I think I’m hooked. When that first shot went off I was all smiles 😁

The shot to the left of the bullseye was the first shot. The second shot is the lower one. Only 25 yards so nothing to brag about.

Attachments

• 0C86CC51-3C55-4EED-AA18-5350FE7AC3B5.jpeg
    0C86CC51-3C55-4EED-AA18-5350FE7AC3B5.jpeg
    998.6 KB · Views: 3
Triple 7 does not work well in flintlocks. You will do better with black powder as your main charge. All synthetic powders don't work well with flint. Percussion cap rifles and pistol will shoot the synthetic powder
I use FFFg powder in my flintlocks. Have done so for the last 40 years. Even use FFg sometimes. But black powder only in my flintlocks.

I successfully, kinda, fired my first shots ever from a flintlock!

I loaded up 80 grains of Triple Seven and a patched round ball. The first shot we went off without a hitch.

The second shot was a lot of work. I couldn’t get it to fire to save my life. I tried several times without success. I figured that the touch hole liner had become plugged up. Of course I didn’t have a pick with me. Rookie mistake. I finally straightened out a fishing hook to pick the touch hole. Still no luck. I remembered putting powder under the nipple on a percussion rifle many times. So I took the pan primer and placed some black powder in the opening of the touch hole liner and primed the pan. I settled in on the target, set the trigger, and……,flash…., kaboom!

I have a LOT to learn about flintlocks but I think I’m hooked. When that first shot went off I was all smiles 😁

The shot to the left of the bullseye was the first shot. The second shot is the lower one. Only 25 yards so nothing to brag about.
Outstanding! Can I ask why you are not using real black powder in the barrel?

I'm somewhat surprised that the first shot went off as well as it did. The high temperature compared to real black powder makes all the substitutes difficult to ignite from a pan flash. It's a good thing that you had real black powder in your priming pan. Some semblance of success in getting ignition can happen if a pre charge of black powder is used to ignite the substitute powders.

Be happy that you have learned a lesson today and hopefully don't intend to verify that lesson again.

If you think that was fun, just wait until you try it with black powder! I'd say pretty good shooting for the first couple shots with a flintlock.

Welcome to flintlock shooting but be careful. It can be addictive. And another suggestion for real black powder as the load. Glad you feel hooked. Out of curiosity, what rifle and caliber are you shooting?

Jeff

Some of the things that make life harder.
Using any sub in the pan. Get a can of 4f, it will last many years.
do not use too much. My pan charger drops1.5gr.
Tap the pan so the powder lays evenly. Dont bunch it up near the touch hole.

Sub powders are meant for percussion guns and don't do well in flintlocks. Without real BP it's hit or miss whether the rifle will fire. Save the 777 for your percussions and use only BP in the flintlock.

Back