• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzleloading deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun232

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I had 2 days to hunt this year, so I thought I would leave my muzzle loader at home, and just go with out with my 30-06. :doh: Well I am glade I brought my muzzle loader out, to say the least.
http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/...[user]=137965577&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

I missed a 10 point buck with my 30-06 in the morning, so I grabbed my 50 cal. Cabelas Hawken and loaded her up with 75 gr of GOEX FFg and a PRB. When I got to my stand I realized I had powder and caps, but no projectiles, so I only had one shot. :idunno:
I saw the doe at a 150 yards, and waited till she was at 125 yards before I fired. I found no blood where I shot here, but I was certain I had hit. I did not know where she went, because of the cloud of smoke, so I started doing circle around where I had last seen her. I found the doe under a pine tree 25 yards from where I had shot her, one entry hole and no exit. I cast the round balls from roofing lead, so they are dead soft.

I then got my truck and loaded my gun back up, before going to gut the doe. I was driving towards the doe, when I saw that buck by her, sniffing at her. I was over 300 yards away, so I got out of my truck and worked my way through the x-mas trees. I was about a 100 yards away when the buck ran off, I must have spooked him. So I sat still for 15 to 20 minutes until he came back, and then shot him. this time I was able to reload my gun directly after shooting, as I had put Lee modern mini balls in my shooting bag.
I shot the 6 point buck with the Lee Modern Mini ball with 65 grains of FFg, and to my surprise there was only an entry hole.
The buck did make it another 100 yards away from where I had shot him, only leaving blood after 20 yards. I shot him in the lower lung, and had taken some of the liver out as well.

The doe was a good heart shot..

Anyway this was my first time hunting with my muzzle loader and I know it will not be the last. :grin:

In years past I have missed deer because I shoot too many times, so I really think that knowing I only have one shot made me focus, and get that kill shot.

I had to butcher the deer in the field, since I cannot do that work on campus..... :doh:

It was a sight butchering two deer hanging from a big oak tree, I was out there past midnight.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's gettin' it done for sure...managed the whole situation very well...congratulations !
:hatsoff:

They won't let you butcher on campus?? What's this world coming to? Seriously, my brothers used to take their guns to school and leave them in the principal's office so they could duck hunt after school.

I think that whole day was an excellent one for you. By the angle of the shot on the buck, you had a quartering away shot and the bullet had to go through the liver to get to the lung/heart area.
How did you store the meat at that liberal school? :wink:

I gave away about 20 pounds of steak (my teachers like me now, and the gun locker guy), sent another 60 pounds down to my parents (thankfully my brother would make the drive up) and then I have a small 4.3 cubic foot freezer which is packed with the remain steaks and ground venison (yup I brought a generator to power my meat grinder).
You know you are a redneck when you turn the tail gate of a truck into a butcher shop, then the next day into a bullet factory, and on a warm day a leather workshop.....
Basically I would be screwed if I did not drive an F-150 with a crew cab and long bed, because I store all my none gun related stuff in there. :wink:

Campus does have a fish and small game cleaning room, though it is of the country club type with granite counter tops and such..... :yakyak:

I am so glade I do not have a room mate!!!!! :bow:

And this school is not that liberal.
They actually let me keep guns in campus lockup at no charge and I can keep as many knives as I want that "are not intended to cause bodily harm". :hmm:

So I consider the Kabar next to my pillow a paring knife... :rotf: :rotf:

Thats setting the hook Deep!
Good shooting. :applause:

Congrats ! and an outstanding effort on processing that game. :thumbsup:

You give me hope for the next generation! :grin:
I was once in your shoes.... Dan

Hardiest congratulations! I'm always gratified to hear of someone's first success being well done and well received. Sharing the spoils is an excellent way to ensure future success as well. You're certainly on the right path. :thumbsup:

Very nice! It sounds like you had a workout by the time you were done. Good job!

Geo. T.

Congratulations! Butchering on the back of the truck. I've done that camping. Sounds like you have a good setup. :hatsoff:

That's some good shooting, I wish I could see good enough over iron sights to shoot at 100 yards. I always butcher my deer in the field also, I have a tree with a skinning rack on it, shoot deer, drag it to the tree, hook it up an get to work, I gut it falls and do the rest at the tree. Coyotes, coons, maybe a bobcat, etc. clean everything up that night. This year I plan on keep the skin (skins?) an do some tanning.

I have tanned the hides in the past, however I don't have time this year. Good luck, YouTube has some good videos on how to do it

Latest posts

Back