• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 Minie Tradjectory

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveoko922

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's early muzzloader here in Western Washington! I've been lucky to harvest 3 deer over the past 4 years in the dense and rainy forest where black tail roam like spirits of the forest. Never have I taken a deer past 50 yards or practiced much past 100. The rifle I use is a Parker Hale 1858 naval rifle.

Today I had a wonderful buck in the open at 185 yards that was in my mind out of reach as much as I wanted to take a shot

Does anyone have experience shooting enfield rifles with 530 grain minies at 150 to 180 yards? Do you k own what the trajectory would look like on a shot like that?

Problem with .58 minnie trajectory is that you can't put enough powder under them to raise the trajectory , with out blowing the skirt off the ball. Had a flintlock Navy Arms Harpers Ferry musket repro. , in the mid 1970's fro the new Pa. flintlock late season for deer. Off the bench , the rifle would hold a 3" group at 100 meters using a Lee Target minnie ball. Maximum load usable was 80 gr. ffg Goex. Yea it was smokin' accurate , but the trajectory in the middle of the rainbow to the 100 meter distance was about 7 " to 8 ". Both me and my long time hunting buddy killed several deer with it , but all were at close ranges. One day i shot over a nice buck , due to not properly estimating the distance . I got frustrated at trying to estimate distance and interpolating where to hold the rifles' front sight to guarantee a killing hit,. Sold the rifle , and chalked the affair up to experience.

Hi everyone,

It's early muzzloader here in Western Washington! I've been lucky to harvest 3 deer over the past 4 years in the dense and rainy forest where black tail roam like spirits of the forest. Never have I taken a deer past 50 yards or practiced much past 100. The rifle I use is a Parker Hale 1858 naval rifle.

Today I had a wonderful buck in the open at 185 yards that was in my mind out of reach as much as I wanted to take a shot

Does anyone have experience shooting enfield rifles with 530 grain minies at 150 to 180 yards? Do you k own what the trajectory would look like on a shot like that?
I have a PH 58; a lovely rifled-musket that delivers sterling results for me out to 100 yards, exceptional at 50. I have never hunted with it, as I have round ball and patch rifles I like to use. If the 58 was my only rifle, I would hunt with it, should I be able to get close enough, that's 50 yards or closer. While I understand that particular rifle is accurate at much longer ranges, on its intended targets (formed ranks of approaching enemy), I would be loath to use my 58 on an animal further out. Purely from a humane perspective. Then, I wouldn't use my round ball rifles beyond 50 yards either. An animal 150 yards out would encourage me to get closer; if I couldn't, I would be content to see it wander off into the forest unmolested. I see by your commentary that you may be similarly influenced.

Happy hunting; sometimes the animals that get away for one reason or other can be the most memorable.

Cheers, Pete

Indeed she did wander happily into the thick brush. A beautiful black tail that probably never saw me but knew something was afoot and made a hasty retreat to the ravine. When hunting season closes, I think I will recreate the possible shot to see if was even feasible!

Indeed she did wander happily into the thick brush. A beautiful black tail that probably never saw me but knew something was afoot and made a hasty retreat to the ravine. When hunting season closes, I think I will recreate the possible shot to see if was even feasible!
Recreate the shot. That's a great idea!

Pete

If you're GTG at 50 yards stay at 50 yards.

Lobbing lead projectiles at deer is unethical and unsportsmanlike.

You could hit that deer anywhere. Snout. Leg. Rump. Etc.

Then you have wounded deer who will suffer greatly before dying.

If you're GTG at 50 yards stay at 50 yards.

Lobbing lead projectiles at deer is unethical and unsportsmanlike.

You could hit that deer anywhere. Snout. Leg. Rump. Etc.

Then you have wounded deer who will suffer greatly before dying.
My post was clearly a hypothetical.

Problem with .58 minnie trajectory is that you can't put enough powder under them to raise the trajectory , with out blowing the skirt off the ball. Had a flintlock Navy Arms Harpers Ferry musket repro. , in the mid 1970's fro the new Pa. flintlock late season for deer. Off the bench , the rifle would hold a 3" group at 100 meters using a Lee Target minnie ball. Maximum load usable was 80 gr. ffg Goex. Yea it was smokin' accurate , but the trajectory in the middle of the rainbow to the 100 meter distance was about 7 " to 8 ". Both me and my long time hunting buddy killed several deer with it , but all were at close ranges. One day i shot over a nice buck , due to not properly estimating the distance . I got frustrated at trying to estimate distance and interpolating where to hold the rifles' front sight to guarantee a killing hit,. Sold the rifle , and chalked the affair up to experience.
My experience also with the 58 cal...You just can't push them fast enough to flatten out the trajectory to make them anything but a 100 yard gun for hunting without blowing out the skirt on minie or having terrible accuracy with even the flat base bullets.

Back