• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Atv's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not just hunting season;
We have a designated hill for shooting south of here. It's a popular spot on BLM just off the road, has posted signs (by BLM themselves). People come and go all day year round with up to 5 groups of shooters at a time.

On day I was out: skeet shooters to the right of me, a couple rifle shooters between me and them, I was in the center of the hill and a group of pistol shooters to my left. We had been firing none stop for some time when I noticed an ATV appear dead center at the top of the hill...he stopped, looked down at us...I think I was the only one who saw him as the others kept on firing - including the skeet shooters...then suddenly the ATV came straight down the hill!
Now the others saw him, I could hear some shouting and som 'unrepeatable' words and phrases. The ATV guy just casually drove right down, through and out, I don't think he batted an eye or realized how close he came to being hit!

Not just hunting season;
We have a designated hill for shooting south of here. It's a popular spot on BLM just off the road, has posted signs (by BLM themselves). People come and go all day year round with up to 5 groups of shooters at a time.

On day I was out: skeet shooters to the right of me, a couple rifle shooters between me and them, I was in the center of the hill and a group of pistol shooters to my left. We had been firing none stop for some time when I noticed an ATV appear dead center at the top of the hill...he stopped, looked down at us...I think I was the only one who saw him as the others kept on firing - including the skeet shooters...then suddenly the ATV came straight down the hill!
Now the others saw him, I could hear some shouting and som 'unrepeatable' words and phrases. The ATV guy just casually drove right down, through and out, I don't think he batted an eye or realized how close he came to being hit!
Definitely a top candidate for the yearly DARWIN AWARD

Several years ago, I walked into a designated "Wilderness Area" in south central Missouri. Had my rifle, tent, and a few other things to stay out for 3 or 4 days while perhaps shooting a nice buck. This area is absolutely closed to vehicle traffic of any kind, and it is prominently displayed at every lot and trail. I walked a long way (miles off road) thru some rough terrain to be by myself and enjoy some pristine wilderness. One morning, as I'm sitting up against a tree with my flinter, two fat slobs on a UTV come rolling thru the quiet woods, carrying scoped in-lines. I was wearing orange, and they still nearly ran me over, coming within feet of my outstretched legs. When I questioned what they were doing in there, I was met with a "F*@k Off!", and they proceeded on their way. UTV/ATV's are nice farm tools, but they have ruined what used to be nice, quiet secluded stretches of timber. Those dudes couldn't have walked 100 ft. from their ride, exactly the type of "hunter" I was seeking to avoid. Told the game warden days later, even provided a picture, he was less than interested.

Several years ago, I walked into a designated "Wilderness Area" in south central Missouri. Had my rifle, tent, and a few other things to stay out for 3 or 4 days while perhaps shooting a nice buck. This area is absolutely closed to vehicle traffic of any kind, and it is prominently displayed at every lot and trail. I walked a long way (miles off road) thru some rough terrain to be by myself and enjoy some pristine wilderness. One morning, as I'm sitting up against a tree with my flinter, two fat slobs on a UTV come rolling thru the quiet woods, carrying scoped in-lines. I was wearing orange, and they still nearly ran me over, coming within feet of my outstretched legs. When I questioned what they were doing in there, I was met with a "F*@k Off!", and they proceeded on their way. UTV/ATV's are nice farm tools, but they have ruined what used to be nice, quiet secluded stretches of timber. Those dudes couldn't have walked 100 ft. from their ride, exactly the type of "hunter" I was seeking to avoid. Told the game warden days later, even provided a picture, he was less than interested.
It's a sad state of affairs when your game warden is one in name only and is just there to collect a paycheck and won't do what we pay him or her to do. You should have reported his ass to upper management!

I think Missouri conservation officers are told to go after the EASY prosecutions, in order to keep the budget down.

It's a sad state of affairs when your game warden is one in name only and is just there to collect a paycheck and won't do what we pay him or her to do. You should have reported his ass to upper management!
The saying in these parts is the local game warden would write is own mother a ticket for the smallest offense.

Last edited:
Our local agent was on a radio show a bit back. He was going on about how no one needed a loaded firearm in a vehicle, it made his job harder. Someone called in and asked if his gun was loaded . He said of course, I’m the LAW! What about self defense, he was asked? You do t need a gun for self defense, call ME! Ok, Barney…….although I realize they have a tough job at times. I wouldn’t go in the deep Missouri backwoods without a Seal team in some areas!

Back